Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm an inch away from buying a VP commy executive wagon

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
parts are cheap, drive train fairly bulletproof, easy to work on and the common problems are more an annoyance than a problem.

But like any car that age if it hasnt been replaced it will probaly need to be as far as bearings, shocks etc etc but one thing at a time and itl look after you

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
While we "love" our VN/VP Commodores, what people are saying is realistic. It is a 20 year old car and is likely to need work.

On the plus side parts are cheaper now and it is easy to work on and doesn't have too much electronics to baffle you.

On the minus side major things such as power steering, new tyres or even just a full set of brake pads and rotors can be more than 10% or 20% of the value of the car in just the parts alone. Plastics are brittle and break easily so every time I fix something I often break a bit more of the car. Rubbers and foam parts are worn and / or perished and you will be surprised how many rubber parts are in a car, fuel lines, cooling hoses, suspension, power steering hoses, door seals, brake lines, brake piston boot, steering boots, belts, harmonic balancer, seat padding, roof linings, steering wheel, etc. And I think we are assuming you can fix it yourself!

More importantly crash safety, handling, brakes are well below your average new car.

Unless you really "love" VN / VP or it is a collectible model I'd tried to buy a younger model car with an airbag or two.

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
If the car is in good nick and you have a fair amount of mechanic knowledge, there really isnt much to and old vp. The reason I race the early v6 commys is because they are strong, cheap and easy to get parts for and after a little tlc very reliable. If you know how to use this forum just about every problem you can imagine has been covered from start to finish so it isnt hard to start to diagonise any issues. If you have 500-a grand sitting there for a service and the car is good ill say you shouldnt go wrong. BUT I havent seen the car so I cant guarentee that.