Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Im thinking of buying a VX commodore what to look for that might stuff up

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
i wanna buy a vx with 240,000kms on the clock for $3500 is this worth it? how long will it last? and what to look for when looking at the car in general faults etc...?

Shaun m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Important to look for leaks, transmission, around the engine ect, look for rust to. I like to undo the radiator cap and look for oil, ect. Also start the car warm it up and check the water to see if it doesn't look right (it could have a cracked head). Check the oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid. (also check if everything looks right). Take the car for a drive, start from 1st 2nd 3rd then d. Make sure gears are smooth, listen for noises ect. Look on the dash for engine lights, could be faults. Turn your steering wheel all the way left, all the way right n listen for noises. I like to look at things that have been replaced (aftermarket ect) it could mean its short time fixing a problem. Really it's upto you, but it's simple just look and see if it's been looked after.

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
do ya reakon ill get at least 100,000 outta it? im only paying 10% of the original retail price when new, if i get 100,000 outta her ill be happy

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Check it doesn't run rough (probably won't on test drive) but apparently the engine seal is fairly common after 200k and that was a $500 job to get fixed. Yes check the engine bay for leaks and tell tale signs of oil being sprayed around. Drive like a nutter down the road then open the hood again away from the dealer to see what's happened in one or two k's that they can't clean when a customer has it. Check everything like window wipers, all electric buttons, the A/C, cruise etc.
For 3.5k you're buying a VX for $500 more than I bought my 98 VT... so have a good peek and a fiddle.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
$3,500 is pretty cheap for a VX here in WA but there are a few basic things to look for.

Let the engine run for 2 minutes or so and open the radiator cap (slowly) to see if pressure has built up. Check all fluid colours and levels

Make sure the ABS unit is plugged in, people tend to unplug them to stop error lights from coming up.

Make sure the car drives and runs straight and everything works (right down to rear electric window switches and cruise control)

Look up and make sure roof lining isn't sagged lol

If you need any parts ect just give me a call/message I have heaps of VX gear. They're good for over 400,000km if you look after the motors. 240,000km is still young.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Price is too dear!

It could last for 50 years or 50 mins.. Its un predictable..

My uncle has a VY Ecotec with 550xxxks aha its still going strong!

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
When you arrive make sure the car it dead cold not pre warmed to hide faults, its a common trick, just place your hand on the bonnet to see if its warm if not satisfied open the bonnet and check.

Shaun m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
$3,500 is pretty cheap for a VX here in WA but there are a few basic things to look for.

Let the engine run for 2 minutes or so and open the radiator cap (slowly) to see if pressure has built up. Check all fluid colours and levels

Make sure the ABS unit is plugged in, people tend to unplug them to stop error lights from coming up.

Make sure the car drives and runs straight and everything works (right down to rear electric window switches and cruise control)

Look up and make sure roof lining isn't sagged lol

If you need any parts ect just give me a call/message I have heaps of VX gear. They're good for over 400,000km if you look after the motors. 240,000km is still young.

Lol I didn't look up when I brought my vt, checked everything but that. Got home, fixed it when I noticed. Tin of quick grip, brush, table, pulled it all out, sanded that orange **** off, slowly and carefully smoothed it on, now you'd think you just brought it ;). Not bad for 12.50$

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Yea that happened to me, the seller prewarmed it to hide faults. Check for smoke from exhaust and leaks under car and drive it to check gear and suspension. If there is any radiator or water leak do not buy it.