Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Impressive

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I realise that, Brock did the same thing in yesteryear and F1 was doing it until they brought in those rules about engines having to last a certain number of races but I would wager that the fuel also had a lot to do with it.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Interesting thermodynamics, given the energy source for an engine is the finite sum of chemical energy stored in the fuel.
On regular gasoline our 6.0 V8 @ 400hp generates ~4,180,000 BTU per hour. In other words 1642 hp total fuel energy is generated to produce 400 hp at the flywheel (25% thermal efficiency). The rest goes out the exhaust as lost heat, into the cooling system (coolant, oil and surrounding airflow).
So for a 1500cc engine to produce same 400hp at the flywheel would mean 100% thermal efficiency using same regular gasoline.
Else it uses different fuel or significantly more fuel, even with a turbocharger the BSFC vs stoic ratio doesn't add up.
No, it's not just because racecar or turbos rule, this goes beyond the thermodynamics of an Otto cycle, the engine likely uses combined heat and power (CHP).
From the pics this engine appears to have no cooling system apart from the rail on the underside of the intake and exhaust near the valves, I suspect thermal efficiency gains come from unseen technology components in the handbag sized turbo air pump.
I think it incorporates a heat engine design similar to the Stirling Engine.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

That engine looks fairly conventional for a 3cyl. The only thing I can see standing out is the dry sump system. The turbo probably has an electric motor to keep it spooled like the f1 one

Doesn't explain the outrageous power claimed though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
[video=youtube_share;Nv1hWjzjgMc]http://youtu.be/Nv1hWjzjgMc[/video]

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
There was talk of those engines making 1500hp in qualifying form. They did run some bloody exotic fuels though.

and made the hp at something like 20,000 rpm.
This Nissan engine claims to make the power at 7000rpm....
Modern 1000cc motorbike engines are making around 200hp without the aid of forced induction and the engine probably weighs around the same
I do remain a little skeptical. Would be far more enlightening to see the power curve, peak hp & torque figures mean little on their own

cracker

Reaction score
That engine looks fairly conventional for a 3cyl. The only thing I can see standing out is the dry sump system. The turbo probably has an electric motor to keep it spooled like the f1 one

Doesn't explain the outrageous power claimed though

agreed, how !

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hard to swallow the impact of turbocharging, but agree is clearly possible.
I had a couple of BMWs with the M10 engine - original NA pocket rocket was good but not miraculous, that is until the turbo version...
http://youtu.be/JYW72ATlf9k
What little German I know he does make mention of a blower attracting many ladies and hosing 911 turbos, and of course the engineering feat to evolve it incrementally to become the legendary 1500hp M12/13 is nothing short of fantastic.
Watched a video series where a monster go kart with a turbo 'busa which is basically unbeatable so yeah, nothing to see here - move along, turbos are amazing ok.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
i dont get it:

"Revving to 7,500 rpm, the Nissan DIG-T R produces 380 Nm of torque"

HP= 380 X 7500 / 5252
HP= 542.6
Your using a combination of metric and imperial measures.
HP = torque in ft/lbs x RPM / 5252
HP = 280 x 7500 / 5252
HP = 399.85

You fail at math!