Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In need of help with my VS Commodore

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm Ute (Daily), 180SX (Weekender)
Hello all, I have a Series 2 VS Commodore and its reving high before changing gears around 2500rpm sometimes to 3000rpm.

I have checked the fluid and its all good, I have replaced the entire gearbox which didnt do much (7HDD was replaced with a 6HDD), changed the ECU which changed nothing, done a fault check and came back as all ok and the power button is off (when on revs like crazy)

I asked the machanics at my local Holden dealer what they though it might be but they told me that they havn't heard of anything like it before

I have no idea why its not running right for me, does anyone have any ideas?

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
How do the revs sit without giving it any gas.
My VS changes around those rpm sometimes higher. I do have a bit of a lead foot tho. lol

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
Before I changed the box it was sitting on about 1800rpm at about 110km/h but this new box sits on over 2000rpm at the same speed but when I mentioned that to the machanic they said that could just be a slipping tourqe converter but shouldnt be coursing the high gear changes.

both boxes idle beutifully at about 500rpm and you dont need to be a lead foot for it to rev high, its actually really hard to keep the gear changes below 2000rpm.

There is seriously something wrong but I have no idea what.

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
No its unleaded and I just put in the standard stuff in from the pump

This has really baffled me

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
Have you tried manually shifting gears, having the same problem with a falcon wagon.

Only thing we can think is the trans is rooted, but when you manually shift it's fine.

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats the chance of having 2 boxes which are as rooted as reach other?

But when I mannually shift up it will still hold the gear untill its ready to select the gear I have gone up to.

It doesnt really hold for to long just revs high, when it hits the rev it wants it changes.

It's only that the changes are quite a bit higher than normal and doesnt make the car that relaxing to drive.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have you checked the throttle position sensor?.....the transmission uses this as it's main input along with the vehicle speed sensor to decide when to change gear. There is a test for the TPS in Gregorys worksop manual. Check for fault codes as well.

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
I havn't checked the throttle position sensor but I have checked for fault codes and it said everything is ok.

If there wasn't any fault code wouldn't that mean my throttle position senser should be ok?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Anything is possible - many times when a CAS fails it will leave no code and the same for many other sensors so I guess that it could be the same with the TPS.
If you have no fault codes but have a fault then I'd reckon you need to check all inputs to the ECU that affect transmission gear changes.
Did you change the torque converter when you changed transmissions?....and the revs you quote @110KPH should be 2100rpm for a series 2 VS.....1800rpm is way too low unless your speedo is out or the tacho is bad. Have you tried adding a can of "transmission stop slip" as this can do no harm.
The test for the TPS is simple if you have a multimeter and a Gregorys manual - PM me you email address and I can scan it for you if you want.