Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Indy, any good this year?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
thats exactly what happened. i dunno what A1GP's financial situation was when the deal was done, it must have seemed like a good idea at the time. from memory the CART series was never doing well financially until the merger with IRL last year but that never stopped the indy organisers from signing them on year after year

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It was reported that A1GP owed their engine suppliers (Ferarri) heaps of money. They simply refused to provide any more engines until money outstanding was paid. Money wasn't paid therefore non appearance in Australia. I also believe that several other venues that have previously hosted A1GP have cancelled their appearance. Future for A1GP doesn't sound too promising.

kyle46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8,VH v8 commodore
we go down and volunteer for the 4 days. the gap left by no show of a1gp cars was huge. the legends cars were good,v8's great,mini's well they're mini's, f/ford not my thing and aussie racing cars put on a good show.
the utes apparently aren't that fussed about running there which is a shame!
rumours of 3 day event,maybe shorter track by 2 blocks ?
have to wait till the report's done and the s##t has settled

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
If I had of bought tickets or whatever you buy to go see the indy, I would have been incredibly pissed and probably not gone. Indy to me is all about the open wheelers, v8s to me are pretty boring.

I imagine there are some unhappy (understatement) people amongst the organisers as the cost of the open wheelers not showing up would have been massive...

kyle46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8,VH v8 commodore
Cochrane likes the LeMans cars so they might be there next year

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I only ever went to the Gold Coast Indy to see the V8's. Never was impressed by open wheelers.
So yeah no disappointment for me in regards to the A1's cancelling.

And no probs with it being a standalone V8 event. ALthough would love to see some good support races like the GT production cars, Commodore Cup cars, maybe sports sedans ?