Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inlet manifold gasket l67

Maracus82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Super6
Hi guys, gotta do the manifold gasket and wondering where if I can, do i get a workshop manual for this? Does the manual take it step by step, and is it hard to do? Also, can I replace the old gasket with an aluminium one? Where would I get it from? Is there any specific tools I need for the job and is there anything anyone knows of I should watch out for or check/change while I got the beast apart? Cheers guys, I know its alot of questions, but I just want to try and cover all bases ya know! Any help would be great!

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Aliminum one would be good. Best option
A manual will help you thrugh it.
You will need a torque wrench
It's not overly hard to do, As long as you have basic mecanical knolidge. Take you're time and take photo's if you need, Just rememer where everything goes.
Give everything a real good clean while you are in there, Like the intake
Sorry, Thats all i can help.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Max ellery make a workshop manual for commodore VT to VZ V6 and V8 (including supercharged V6). These cost around $50 on ebay.Well worth it, It will show you all the stuff you will need to do the job. The most important things to remember is to make sure all gasket faces are clean (use some thinners to clean the surfaces). Also make sure you follow the recommended torque settings when tightening up bolts etc, and make sure to follow the inlet manifold bolt tightening sequence in the manual so the inlet manifold bolts are tightened up in the correct order. If its not followed correctly, it can warp the inlet manifold causing it to leak.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Yep what these guys have said pretty much sums it up. MACE sell aluminium gaskets which are very good. They come with a life time warranty. While its off swap the thermostat for a cooler one if you want mace also sell these. You can also port the inlet manifold which can help out if you plan on Intercooling.

Maracus82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Super6
thanks for that guys, already sourcing gear, in reguard to torque wrench, which size and or type will suit the job best?

d.k.vmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS
Torque wrench will depend on what amount of torque you need to do. They all have ranges so you need to pick the one that suits you.

Maracus82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Super6
ok, I was just asking if anyone who had changed the gaskets and knew what range of torque was needed and what size bolts that need the specified torque setting. As I havent read the workshop manual yet, and hope it is helpfull, these questions may seem a bit wierd but I need to know. Any answers are much needed knowledge for me and cheers to those participating! After I do the gaskets I'm also going to buy one of the memcals from MACE as Ive been interested in them for a while, just wondering if anyone had installed one? Are they easy to install and do you notice any improvements, cheers!

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Get a manual. Pays for itself. Also get a 1/2 torque wrench. Then you can use it in the future.

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina
Easy? Depends on your skill set / experience. If you're not a grease monkey (ie. a computer geek like me), then give some beer to a mate who is ;-)

Torque wrench should come with with an adaptor to suit your sockets. Bolts are already on the engine LoL.
Spec:
-Manifold to Head: < 1998 models 8 to 12 Nm, 1999 + models 12 to 16 Nm - Check your manual for tightening sequence!
-Manifold to SuperCharger - Step 1 - 10 to 18 Nm, Step 2 - 21 to 27 Nm.

Speak to Steve @ Mace Engineering, he'll hook you up with 82 deg thermostat, intake manifold & supercharger gaskets, o-rings & "red goo" copper silicone sealant. Might as well replace the "u-tube" hose between the thermostat housing & coolant pipe at the same time.

Question: Why you "gotta" do the gaskets?
They prolly need doing anyway... isn't that right Brett_jjj :beer chug: (Brett is a Guru, listen to him you will).
but do you have symptoms to describe?

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3,351
Last edited: