Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a "kill" switch

smokyJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 5spd Ute
i want a kill button... so everytime someone cuts me off, i can line them up in my sights and press the kill button.

think i might hook it up to my stereo and have a "pew pew pew" noise come out... and then put a little crosshairs on my windscreen.

actually, i am liking this idea more and more as i type...

ok, im off to go figure out how to wire it up.

+1 for "pew pew pew's" ahaha

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
is there some reason why i cant simply cut the power wire to the ignition barrel, and join this 20 amp on/off switch i got from jaycar into the middle via another 2 bits of wire? then stash the switch in a sneaky location i can reach from the driving position.

i dont understand whats with the relays mainly, and, also doing it in places other than the ignition barrel. is there some technical reason why i cant find mention of it being done from that location? or just because it would be easier for a thief to locate.

cheers

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
nice thread dig =P

but to answer your question about a relay.
it is pretty much a switch that works on electromagnetic induction, so you dont need to put the "killswitch" where the wires to the ignition barrel go.
cables depending on size can have current load ratings and these can be effected by adding more cable due to ohms law, more cable = higher resistance (ohms) it may mean it might not work if you just chuck a switch in. also depending on the amps going through a switch it can actually arc, causing a short.

you could just hook the switch up if you really wanted, unless the wires to the ignition also run other devices

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
what Drawn said.

Also:

34604473_Facepalm_kyon.jpg

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
ok, then i should be right with the switch, as long as i dont add any further wire. that would probably mean going to another locatation on the wire or something else.

now i get it :D

... i think :|

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
ok, then i should be right with the switch, as long as i dont add any further wire. that would probably mean going to another locatation on the wire or something else.

now i get it :D

... i think :|

I see what you're getting at mate and I can't see an issue with it. As long as you break the cable after the ignition barrel and use the same size cable or larger, I really can't see the need for a relay. With the switch off (open circuit) nothing will happen when the key is turned to the engine start position. Turn the switch on (closed circuit) and you basically "repair" the cable, allowing the ignition cable from the barrel to once again feed the ignition system.
As for arcing, that will only happen under load. So basically it will only happen if you have the key turned to the engine start position and turn your kill switch on at the same time, and why would you be doing that anyway?

Having said all this, I don't have great knowledge of how the ignition system is wired up, I'm simply using what knowledge I have of electrical circuits as a qualified electrician. So, I could be very wrong..

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
thats the lines of thought i was having about it too JBD. It seems pretty logical. I think i have a pretty low chance of trouble as long as i make 100% sure i have the correct wire. im also noticing that some of the thicker wires turn into thinner ones after they hit the fusebox also. for example, at the (f10) starter fuse. its a larger wire going into the fuse, and only one about half the size coming out again.
although, being upside down in the footwell with all the different wire colors going on, im getting acid flashback nearly, so anything could happen. :D