Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a oil pressure sensor

hillboy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I recently got a oil pressure gauge for my ecotec as i will most likely be needing to keep an eye on the pressure for the conditions. Question is what is the best way to go about installing the sensor? can i somehow just use the sensor that come with the gauge and still hook up my oil light so i can actually run the car? or do i need to use a tee piece and have both?

Of course id prefer to just use the one sensor but with the factory loom having 3 wires and the pressure sensor only having ground and i assume the sender, wouldn't be a good idea.

Anyone had experience in doing this?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ecotec
HI mate,
I hear this one constantly and the majority of the time people go
Housing------to gauge feed normally one in and one out-------original pressure sensor
if your gauge kit doesnt have two ports e.g. one into housing one into sensor then YOU WILL have too t-piece it.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a three wire sensor and use a two wire one ecu will set a feedback voltage out of range code, therefore try to reuse the original genuine sensor.

hope this helps if still stuck post photos and brand of your gauge and i will see if i can help out

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
when i installed mine i just removed the factory oil pressure switch and installed the gauges sender, havnt had any problems and the car still runs fine. most people say to use a T piece so the oil dash light still works but since you have the gauge you can keep an eye on that depending on where you mount it.

hillboy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
sssmechanicholdenbrisb. Thanks for the info mate i think ill just be best to tee-peice it by the sounds of it, the gauge doesnt have the two ports that i can see..

also axemurderer101 not having the standard oil pressure hooked up wouldnt it cause problems? i thought without oil pressure the fuel pump is meant to turn off?

hillboy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Found out with the sensor disconnected the oil light stays off permanently, so yeah i was wrong. ended up having a t-piece laying around with same threads and everything so had it setup in 15min works fine. Thanks!