Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Mini Spool and Gears

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
why would you want a spool on an lsd diff? if your not spinning 2 wheels off the mark and even flattening it around bends its stuffed, just rebuild your diff. people say the lsd's arent very strong, but they are.....are just as strong as the rest of the drivetrain.

tubbed383

Let's fry!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L A4
why would you want a spool on an lsd diff? if your not spinning 2 wheels off the mark and even flattening it around bends its stuffed, just rebuild your diff. people say the lsd's arent very strong, but they are.....are just as strong as the rest of the drivetrain.

borg warner lsd's are more useless then tits on a bull. wear out quite quickly.

another thing, im constantly seeing young blokes getting minispools fitted, then proceeding to break axels and what not and say spools are ****... LEARN HOW TO DRIVE BOYS :) daily driven minispooled vn calais here, 15mths and not one problem... except tyre wear hehe :)

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
i used a pry bar (similar to a crow bar, just a bit smaller) and it works great, slide it behind the carrier, against the face of the pinion and against the body of the carrier. simple really. don't see the need for a chain at all:thumbsup:

Hey man did you find your mini spool in NZ or get it sent from aus?

have a mate with an open wheel wagon.... and my lsd is worn so thinking about putting another diff in and spooling it (to poor to afford re-build right now)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey man did you find your mini spool in NZ or get it sent from aus?

have a mate with an open wheel wagon.... and my lsd is worn so thinking about putting another diff in and spooling it (to poor to afford re-build right now)

i'm currently running a tightened LSD which is working well and cops a bit of abuse along the way. next time round i'm going to use a minispool on my toy car. even with the LSD the missus doesn't like to drive it as she complains "it slides to easy"

where abouts are you? it would probably be cheaper to get it from aussie but try some local outfits and see if they can supply one. if your in auckland try either steelie gears (tony) he's been around for a long time and does a lot of diffs for race cars and dragsters etc. he's in onehunga (south auckland)

Last edited:

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
yea Papakura boys lol.... so south auckland is good. i would rather re-build my lsd but am pretty brok atm....

mate still wants a spool though for his wagon so ill give steelie gears a call then

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yea Papakura boys lol.... so south auckland is good. i would rather re-build my lsd but am pretty brok atm....

mate still wants a spool though for his wagon so ill give steelie gears a call then

ask tony how much to rebuild your LSD, i don't think it's that much, especially if oyu take it out and take it to him

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
is spooled now anyway, best thing i ever did!!

cracker

Reaction score
looks like people are seeing the light mini spools kick ass

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
how much for the diff gears.

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride