Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing own exhaust

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a lukey rear muffler and a straight through pipe from a friend of myn and was wondering how hard it could be to install it myself. I would probably have access to a jack, stands and various other tools, the stands allow for about 1/2 meter of space under the car. Will this be enough? Its only a cat-back.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Very easy to do, the hardest part would be undoing the cat bolts as they can be tight. Make sure you get the car high enough at the rear so you can get the rear muffler over the axle.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
you will need to undo the rear shocks (live axle) and you will get about another 25cm clearance when you lower the diff. make sure your springs go in properly when re assembling

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
those cat bolts can be a right bastard. took me an hour and a healthy coating of WD40 before they budged

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
17mm spanner and a jack

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Doesn't the VS have a 15mm head?

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
I'm about to do this today, but i left my gregorys manual in melbourne, just wanna know where i put the jack stands, i have forgotten. If anyone has a copy of the page from the manual where it says that would be great
cheers

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
i did mine myself took about an hour, those cat bolts are a true bitch. didnt need to take shocks out either.

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
yea dont need to take out shocks. if its a one peice catback with ta tip tho, take the tip off first cause it will let it slide out over the diff easier. took me a while to figure that out too. jack stands. are they like axel stands??

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
well mine is all welded together so i will have to unscrew the shocks, otherwise it wont fit in, they are just stands, i didn't know there were different types