Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing your new memcal in your VN - VS Commodore (V6 & V8)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
remember to keep grounded any static shock is your worst enemy when it comes to memcals

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Done it on a wooden table, I touched the kitchen tap before I done it. :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I haven't used a static strap in years, never with memcals. No point, you solder in a socket, not going to hurt the chip. Then you push the chip in. I always leave the chip in the burner until I grab it so it's not sitting on something that can potentially cause static issues and I'm not running my hands of the legs either.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
remember to keep grounded any static shock is your worst enemy when it comes to memcals

Never killed an eprom from static electricity in the decades i've played with them and i know i'm charged alot of the time from the shocks i get touching the car 99% of the time i get in/out.
The ecu/pcm case is grounded so as soon as you touch that you are grounded (memcal is encased in plastic so it's safe).
Don't wear nylon socks while walking over carpet, don't play with a van de graaff generator or tesla coil, simply touch something like the pc case if you are that worried.
Handling the eprom isn't going to hurt it, as soon as the soldering iron touches any then it's grounded..... no way any residual static electricity is going to travel down the solder from your hand and fry it... unless you don't know how to solder correctly.

Peeling the sticker off and leaving it in the sun for a few hours/years/decades is by far a worse enemy, even then it's not going to kill anything, may corrupt it a lil and it'll need reprogramming.

Done it on a wooden table, I touched the kitchen tap before I done it. :)

Wood is actually a conductor, it'll have moisture trapped in it....

Last edited:

corey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs ss manual
Wish i seen this thread before i done my chip and memcal adapter:(
I did a chip/memcal install but didnt disco the battery, car wouldnt start after install so i put the old memcal back in and still no start (just winds over), checked all my fuses, links, reset ecu, left reds on for and hour, made sure they were seated properly and still nothing so i assumed i fried the ecu coz there was a strong smell coming from it for a moment
Now ive got another ecu with memcal coming, supposed to be here today and hopefully she'll fire up!

Has anyone else done this amatuer mistake?

1995 vs ss manual headers 2 1/2" exhaust 3.9 ratio

355hjchoppa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hj statesman
Hi
what is a hsv 200i tune/ chip?
Thanks

Anthony Turner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute V6 Ecotec
Hey Guys, I put a new MACE mescal in, no worries but the VS ute i have won't start now, MACE told me i needed to piggyback the info to the new chip, anyone got any ideas on this or help.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Disconnect the battery fit the memcal reconnect the battery and fire it up should be that easy

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah sometimes VATS plays up if you don't disconnect the battery as happened to me. My Mace memcal went in no issues at all, should just be plug and play.