Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior Dome Lights

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
Hey all,
Im just wondering what size is the bayonet style lights in the VY dome lights? Because i want to get x2 red leds to bright up the dome lights as in the back 2 passenger door lights, the festoon 36mm lights are a nice led red so i would like to apply it to the whole car. If anyone has a link of where to find some i'd be ever appreciative.

Thanks,
Marlon

Last edited:

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
Figured out the lighting in the end

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Do you find that they are as bright as the standard globes were?

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
If you wore night vision goggles :p

I hardly doubt they'd be brighter due to the light spectrum ;)

park0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
awesome work dude

can you tell me exactly where you got the dome lights from?

i want to get some blue ones for myself!
the ones i have bought do not work for some reason.

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
awesome work dude

can you tell me exactly where you got the dome lights from?

i want to get some blue ones for myself!
the ones i have bought do not work for some reason.

Hey,

Umm with the lights what sort of lighting system do you have?

If you have the sunnies holder like me the globes are called bayonets. With the bayonets they are quite hard to find, even on ebay. So what i did was i bought a kit and wrapped red cellafane around it, however you spell it. See if you put blue cella around your normal bayonet it will burn through it and could cause a melt or fire hazard. So buy a led kit like this and then wrap blue cella around the led kit in the lighting system

1pc BA9S 1895 T4W Bayonet 12 High Power LED (White) PCB - eBay LED, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Jul-09 13:10:32 AEST).

So see the first big SMD chip? That's what i have in my sunny holder, but 2 of them, one on each side.

I bought something like this off ebay

2 x Blue LED Side Light Bulbs T4W Bayonet BA9S 24V - eBay Other Lights, Indicators, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Jun-09 20:24:37 AEST)

and these didn't fit in yet they were the same size, i don't know why but this is how i did my lights.

Also you may need to reverse polarity, that means you may need to de-solder the wires and re-solder the green and red wires. If so ill take a photo to show you how my wires are on top of the sunny holder.

But some Holdens have the lighting kit in the middle of the cabin, above the console lid. Those lights are a festoon base. I think they are either 36mm or 42mm off the top of my head. Then go on ebay and type in "blue festoon" and that will give you some festoon globes to fit your light.

One more thing whilst im here, if you do have the sunny holder thing at the front you will have rear side lights above your passenger doors, they are 36mm festoons.

Hope that helps mate, if not ill take out my sunny holder and show you the wiring kit above the sunny holder. The only problem about these led kits are the wires though, if you see the bayonet light in this

1pc BA9S 1895 T4W Bayonet 12 High Power LED (White) PCB - eBay LED, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Jul-09 13:10:32 AEST)

you need to put that into your bayonet base holder and then if you can see the little wire that comes off it with a little plug, you then need to plug the big SMD led to that bayonet wire which then makes the LED work. Also don't wrap too much cella around the led as this sort of holds the light in too much and then wont bright up the cabin too much. So wrap the cella around the led about 2-3 layers or until you have your desired result.

Good luck, any questions just ask me.

park0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
My commodore has the lights in the sunglass holder like yours does.

i have the t4w/ba9s/bayonet LEDS that 'fit but don't work'

So i think 'reversing the polarity' is the next step!

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
My commodore has the lights in the sunglass holder like yours does.

i have the t4w/ba9s/bayonet LEDS that 'fit but don't work'

So i think 'reversing the polarity' is the next step!

I wonder if reversing the polarity is just the problem?

Maybe because they are LED's?

Anyway mate i have my car back in a few days so ill take a photo for you so you can reverse your wires, you will need to solder an extender wire onto i think the green wire because it will not reach the otherside, you'll see what i mean when i post the picture up in the next few days.

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
Do you find that they are as bright as the standard globes were?

They are not as bright as blue or white but they give an awsome look. That's why it's also good to have some other lights in your car, led footwells and other lights which can brighten up the cabin help alot.