Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Into the dash

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
Well ive just got into ther dash of my mates vl to fix the stereo and install a sub, but while its apart id thought id fix everything else so i dont ghave to get into it again.

Firstly the vinyl stuff thatys on the top thats tan, blue, grey etc. its a diff material can it just be painted with normal paint, if so wat sort of steps should i follow. Cuz this car has a tan top and someone started painting the bottom black...they never finished.

And the boot realease button, which colours as there are a few spare and ive tried touching them together and nothing happens...how does the opperation of the switch work into relation of the realese latch in the boot, need power etc??

If we get new speakers for the dash how do we stop them from kickin hard and blowing up eventually (as mine did) the amp that he has bought for the speakers can only run the rears unless i parrellel which i wouldn't do. or would u?

Cheers

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
under the dash the two wires are orange & black they have female spade bit connections it operates off fuse #11 via windscreen and rear window module. In the boot two black wires one earths at the boot solenoid the other runs from the wire loom. A test light will make the job alot easier
check the fuse! check that the solenoid actually works (use alternative power source).

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
So it's the orange wire? i have a earth orange and pinkyred cable left dangling without any connections yet.

Theres one black-to-blue cable going to the solenoid, and its connected to earth there???

And checking it via alternate power supply, just run a cable from another active to the blue solenoid wire (only one i can see)???

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
to the button in the glovebox 1 black 1orange
pinkyred???
alternate power source a live wire or another battery to the blue wire.
sorry the solenoid acts as the earth.

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i pulled the solenoid out of the boot, and connected to my dewalt battery and she went spark and worked. The black cable is earth at the switch just cant get power to run down the back.

Send us that email jatsvl if u dont mind.

What are all those other connections in the boot that have nothing in them, they different plugs, what they for? (if ne1 knows)

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i traced the orange cable back and it goes to the fusebox and is actually connected to fuse #17 which is not labelled in the box...thought this was a bit funny and checked mine, and without fuse #17 in the boot release does not work.

i couldn't understand that diagram too well either jatsvl.

only problem is the stereo now...when i use the boot release on my mates car it cuts the stereo out where mine doesn't. Does this happen with ne1 elses cd player...ive just extended all the cables but only went off wat was connected there b4.........hold this thought! ((it might be the neutral. (sus out 2moro))

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
If your putting a sub or amps in the boot it is unwise to connect the boot release button, I speak from experience when my system got knocked. Why make it easy for them????

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
I see your point, but if u use a key to get in the car, which mine does then it also opens the boot. ill see what he wants to do, as the stereo will not be seen only heard.

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not so much into the dash, but the clear plastic over the cluster, does ne1 know how to clean that up pretty good? as it is dirty (dirt stains) to start, and has white swirlys in it.