Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Irs

Vs_sharlene

Beats a Kick in the Face!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
Stupid Question:

How do you tell if you have IRS suspension?

Cheers

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
when u accelerate does the ass of ur car drop and are ur wheels on a slant like this / \ or are they straight | | if they r angled u got irs if not u got normal suspension

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Independant Rear Suspension is when the wheels can move independantly to eachother (name says it all) unlike a solid axle (normal suspension). Look at the axle, If its got rods sloped to the wheels from the Diff its IRS. Or if its one complete straight axle... Its not.

Vs_sharlene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
Cheers for that

If I were to lower my car would i need new springs and shocks or just new springs?
I don't like how the car has its ar$e up in the air.
BTW I don't have IRS

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
even though u already said u dont hav IRS the dead give away for IRS is that the shocker isnt inside the spring. this has been covered b4 do search

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
SaGe said:
even though u already said u dont hav IRS the dead give away for IRS is that the shocker isnt inside the spring. this has been covered b4 do search
the shock was never inside the spring on the arse end of a commodore....i dont think!
sharlene, what you need to buy depends on how low you are going. if you are going low enough that the stock shock absorbers are in danger of bottoming out, then you need to purchase shocks that are suited to the ride height of your coil springs. since you have a live axle rear too, you will need an adjustable panhard bar, which allows you or whoever is doing the job to centralise the rear axle once the lowered springs are installed. if you are lowering, it's actually not a bad idea to change all your bushes out for new (either rubber replacements or polyurethane).....if you have any more q's, let us know
Cheers
Maniac

Vs_sharlene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
Yea I plan to eventually get super lows...

Just looking at an inventory on ebay of what i'll need (plan to install w/help of a friend)

Superlow King Springs & Shocks = $328
Adjustable Panhard Rod ~ $75

Bugger new bushes

Total ~ $403

Am I forgetting anything?

Cheers
Tom

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
are you just lowering the rear? if you are doing the front too, you might want to change your strut top bearings....but if it's only the back you are working on then you should be right with what you have there...
cheers mate

Vs_sharlene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
Yea I think i'll just start with the back and then do the front when my money permits. How much would i be looking at for new bearings?

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
As in rear wheel bearings? lol usally only ex-taxis need new bearings cos they dont hav to be changed unless uve done a few hundred thousand k's.

would u be planning to do it urself? cos it the bearings on rear hav to be pushed down onto the axel shaft with a press

y do u need new bearings?