Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is Holden truly Australian?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
VB - VL is the same car, based on an Opel Rekord
VN - VS is the same car, based on an Opel Omega
VT - VZ is the same car, based on an Opel Omega
VE is.. AUSTRALIAN! GM's darling child Zeta platform which is going to be used for a lot of cars (including my signature car the Pontiac G8)

I use the term based loosely, new drivetrain, made RWD, strengthened significantly (VB mules were snapping in half due to the harshness of the Outback), made bigger and other stuff

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
They are american owned it really depends on what model you are looking at e.g. Astra's a opels rebadged even the parts are imported from europe. Man I'd love to try out a VE GTS on the autobahns

maxholden

Reaction score
Website
www.carsearch.net.au
VB - VL is the same car, based on an Opel Rekord
VN - VS is the same car, based on an Opel Omega
VT - VZ is the same car, based on an Opel Omega
VE is.. AUSTRALIAN!

I use the term based loosely, new drivetrain, made RWD, strengthened significantly (VB mules were snapping in half due to the harshness of the Outback), made bigger and other stuff

I've heard somewhere that VE is Australian, it made a big difference on its reputation. I had few mates come from Europe and they always used to say about Holden: what pay for this $40k???, but it is just an Opel...

I think they will change their opinion now..

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
should really say vb-vz the exterior design is based on the opel versions, but really theyre nothing alike, as juz said, lots of refinements in chassis, running gear, etc.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In 1856 it started out as a saddlery and leather goods business, but over time the American GM merged with the then called Holden and Frost to form GM-H in Australia. The first 'Holden' the 48-215 was actually an American design and it was registered as a Chevrolet. It was rejected for the American market and was adopted here as a medium sized sedan. So....technically Holden is not Australian at all....

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hahahaha i alway's hear little kid's who "love holden" but they also dont drive yet saying "VL'S SUCK they arent even holden they have a nissan motor".

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
In 1856 it started out as a saddlery and leather goods business, but over time the American GM merged with the then called Holden and Frost to form GM-H in Australia. The first 'Holden' the 48-215 was actually an American design and it was registered as a Chevrolet. It was rejected for the American market and was adopted here as a medium sized sedan. So....technically Holden is not Australian at all....
considering the original holden company was owned by an australian partnership then technically they are 'australian' its just that now they are not australian owned

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Carlton United Breweries import Corona, does that make Corona an Australian beer?

When the 48-215 which was considered the first Holden, (even though they were making bodies fitted to Rover, Vauxhall and other chassis's, long before,) was released it wasn't Australian designed or even engineered. At that time the company was jointly owned by GM America and Australians.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Hahahaha i alway's hear little kid's who "love holden" but they also dont drive yet saying "VL'S SUCK they arent even holden they have a nissan motor".

They are right though, VL's do suck :p And they do have a nissan motor :p