Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it really Clock Spring

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the airbag light means the SRS system has been completely shut down due to it detecteing a fault and will not operate ANY of the SRS system until you have the issue fixed and the DTC code cleared.

this is a safety method for technitians to ensure the airbag system doesnt deploy while theyre working on the car.

changing the clock spring isnt hard, but you need to question why it broke in the first place. your average GM clockspring has 2.5 turns from center either way (5 turns total) so if you get a used clockspring you need to check that it is centered. you can do this by gently twisting the inner section of the clockspring all the way anti clockwise until it stops. turn it the opposite direction while counting the rotations to ensure its actually 5 turns, as some are 6. when youve counted 5 turns, turn it anti clockwise again 2.5 turns and you should see a yellow wheel through the little access hole. there also may be 2 arrows that line up. one on the center that you turn and one on the outer hub. when you see the yellow wheel and the 2 arrows line up, your clockspring is now center and must be installed centered on the car (i.e. wheels in 0 rotation on the steering wheel angle sensor)

if you install the clock spring 1 turn off, the next time you do a U turn you will rip the ribbon clean off again and need a new one.

also the airbag plugs WILL NOT "pull out with some gentle wiggling" and doing so will more than likely damage either the plug or your airbag. the plugs are designed as a failsafe system, dual pin release. on the back of the plug there is a catch that needs to be pulled backwards before attempting to remove the plug. after that catch has been released, then you depress the 2 sides of the plug gently and GENTLY remove the plug from the airbag.

the plugs are yellow. the catch is usually a different colour, normally orange and blue.

Zeeshan Ahmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 2001 3.8L
Thaks a lot dear.

is there any way that I can reset the code by using some scan tool from ebay?
can these scan tool get me radio key ? I did not have one & changed battery; now as of now I am using '1111' for 3 min music.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
pretty sure SRS codes are stored in the BCM, so a ELM327 (ebay scantool) doesnt clear it, but could be wrong. im not 100% on VT systems. my snap-on scantool will clear a srs code, so any mechanic should be able to do it, its not something that needs to be done by holden and their outrageous prices.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
You will have to ring Holden to get the pin code for the radio though. If your lucky they will give it to without charging you, if your not lucky.......well

Djole

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Do disconnect the battery before starting.
Do obtain a service manual. PM me if you need a download link to the PDF for the VT - VYII service manual.
Don't do the job without adequate beer supply.
Hi mate,
I need service manual for vt to change my clock spring. I would appreciate if you can email me link to that pdf file.
Cheers
Djole

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Big Al was banned and hasn't posted since 2014.
There is enough information in this thread to help you change a clock spring.

Djole

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi aacentstencil, thanks for responding.
I know there is one good step by step from svill223 with pictures and helped me first time to change clock spring. This time text is there but pictures are disabled by some photobucket
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-change-the-clock-spring-on-a-vt.162723/
This time I assume could be same. That is why I wanted that pictures.
Anyway problem happened when I parked my car,locked it by remote control horn went off. Could not open door. After 15 Min horn stopped. Today I opened car with remote, found horn fuse burnt. Replaced it with good one, swaped relay with other(headlight's one) to make sure that is working. No sound. Pulled out relay bridged the holes with wire terminal 3 and 5 did not help.when I bridged on same way headlight relay holes headlights turned on. Why horn does not react same way. Does it mean that horn is burnet, and after fuse got burnet as well and it was when horn finally stopped. Any idea?
Cheers
Djole

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Connect 12 volts directly to the horn terminals to see if the horn works.
Photobucket used to be free now they want a fortune to host pictures, that is why most photos are no longer visible.

Djole

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks, I will try that. It looks that will give me answer if horn is ok.
Yeah, I learnt about photobucket...
I let you know I go
Cheers