Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my LSD tight??

Gunns VC

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina
Hi guys, I got a vs berlina wagon it has an LSD but I don't know how to see if it's tight or not. When I jack the car up so both rear tyres are off the ground I spin one wheel and the other spins the same way. Now if I get someone to hold the other tyre I can spin the one on my side but it's fairly hard to spin it! Should I be able to spin it or not? The far has no motor so I can't test it by driving it.

Any help much appreciated!

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Usually new/tight LSD's take a medium amount of force to rotate a wheel while your assistant holds the other wheel steady. I know it's stupid but is the gearbox in neutral and/or tailshaft not binding up on the body for some reason? (you did say no motor in the car). IIRC it should take 50ft/lb of torque minimum to rotate one axle while the other is held stationary.

Gunns VC

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina
Well it has no gearbox or tailshaft either lol so when I spin the wheel it is purly the diff rotating nothing else

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
leave one wheel on the ground and jack the other one up off the ground. If you can stick a few fingers thru the wheel (off the ground) and turn it easily then your LSD has weak preload or is shagged

if it takes a fair old push or two hands to turn it then it's still tight

Gunns VC

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina
Yeah it does take a fair old push to turn it, it's definately not easy