Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my SV6 a 04 or 05?

Krissy004

real chicks drive sticks.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi guys,
So I know this sounds like a stupid question but I honestly dont know if my SV6 can be classified as a 04 or 05?

On the plate, it says manufactured Dec 04 and on the forms I bought it as.. it says 04 but on the rego it says 05 and mainroads said they previously rego'ed it as 05 with the previous owner :hmmm:

So... is it a 04 or 05?

nickkjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Sometimes with vehicles they build them at the end of one year but they are a different year release. I know my mate bought a 2013 yamaha r6 at the end of 2012 if that makes sence. Obviously a bike is different from a car but thats the only thing I can think of. If your rego says is an 05 then its an 05 model it was just built in 04.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It comes down to build date and "year model". Holden use September I think to differentiate the different year models. It may have been built in 04, but I'd say compliance date is 05 and since it was built after September, it is classified as an 05 year model.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If build plate states built 04 then that's what it is, a 2004 built vehicle. Nothing can change that although YOU can call it whatever you like.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Look at the 10th number of the V.I.N. If it's a 4 then it's and 04, and if it's a 5 then it's a 05.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If build plate states built 04 then that's what it is, a 2004 built vehicle. Nothing can change that although YOU can call it whatever you like.

But when you order parts for it, you say 04, but 05 parts are different.

The build date and MY are also key points that car yards use, they sell the car according to the MY, but trade the car according to the build date.

D

Don123

That's why if you want to buy a new car in December, wait until January and then buy a new car and make sure the compliance plate shows the year that you bought it otherwise just one month difference will make it a year old even before you drove it out of the yard. UNLESS I get it at a really good price like a few thousands less than a current model car, I won't buy it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Then it balances out in the resale, you pay less for a runout, but you also get less down the track. Swings and roundabouts.