Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is Nulon Extra Thick Engine Oil - 40W-70 ok for a vy thats done 200k???

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
I use 10w40 Valvoline,car's done 430,000km I change oil and filter every 5,000km and it runs and sounds great I'd be concerned about the knocking noise but perhaps that will disappear once you put real oil in it. As far as filters go,I've always used Repco filters (GMH approved) but I'd be really interested to read the article mentioned by Customcreations cos if genuine really are better I'll be doing the switch next time for sure.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ozzy

Do you hate your car? Why would you want to lubricate it with molasses?

As the other guys have said, 200k is nothing to an Ecotec that has been cared for. Go with the recommendations for your engine, keep it changed regularly, together with the filter, and it will outlast the rest of the car.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
i had some 40w-70 given to me for some reason... but thats ok ill use another oil... what brand is good... nulon, castrol, ect? thanks...

i got a gm oil filter and a few things on order as my local auto shop had none in stock

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Hey Mate

Ive always use Penrite in al my cars

In my brothers ecotec we use either HPR10 (10w-50) or HPR15 (15w-50) both are full synthetic aswell.....

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Man, even 25w50 or 15w60 is too thick IMO.

I don't get any cold start noises either, BUT YOU MUST USE GENUINE GM OIL FILTER. Not ryco or any other generic after market filters. Can't remember which MAG it was , but they did independant testing on all the A/M brands and genuine filters from the different car manuf. ALL A/M brands came up as being poorly made with too much cartridge jammed in the filter cannister. They showed pics of the different filter cut through to reveal the quality of each. Genuines were made to fit. Difference which was my own first hand change from A/M to a genuine filter was MASSIVE. Cold starts and lifter noise was gone as soon as I put the genuine filter on (Had just done the oil change and used Castrol Edge 5W30 then read about it so with same oil changed the filter to genuine) .

Yeh totally agree when it comes to filters,it amazes me when people spend big dollars on high cost synthetic oils only to put a cheap and nasty $2 oil filter on,then complain about the rattle at start up,and the lack of oil pressure when the engines at operating temp.
I dont know if alot of you are aware that Ryco were once the choice of choice when it came to after market filters, BUT they are now made overseas in bloody CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The filter media is probably leftover off cuts from the bonds t-shirt company.
Just out of interest I have tried a filter manufactured here in Australia made by a company called WESFIL. If interested here is their web site.
Home ~ Wesfil

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is there a reason you want thicker oil? Mines done 170, still using 5w-30, doesn't use any oil

workvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute / ve thunder
I use 10w 40 in my vs and got 482 thousand on it. All original and purs like a kitten. I wouldn't go any different. Your motor still brand new in my book.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I dont know if alot of you are aware that Ryco were once the choice of choice when it came to after market filters, BUT they are now made overseas in bloody CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

South Africa actually.

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Sabbath':2264592 said:
I dont know if alot of you are aware that Ryco were once the choice of choice when it came to after market filters, BUT they are now made overseas in bloody CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

South Africa actually.

No mostly China now. There may be a few still made there but too many faults coming out of South Africa.