Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there a date code on the OEM calsonic kansei radiator ?

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
There's a sticker on the ATF cooler side tank, but it looks like it could be a serial number.

There are white paint markings on the upper & lower ATF cooler nut, line and radiator that all line up, along with yellow paint markings on the tank crimp and tank that line up.

I'm thinking this radiator is original, never touched and just waiting to explode one day.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If the cooling system has been serviced and looked after correctly theres no real reason for the radiator to fail.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
If the cooling system has been serviced and looked after correctly theres no real reason for the radiator to fail.
The plastic end tanks become brittle and crack. Common problem. Rarely does an Ecotec V6 make it past 200,000 with an original radiator.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My V8 VX SS radiator also has brittle plastic tanks.

In the crack, you can see if expanding outwards. its gets hot in aV8 engine bay and over time its just dcided to give way.

Patched it for now, but looking for a replacement.
If theres no signs of wear and tear, start saving for a whole cooling system change.

EG, hoses, thermostat, raditator and coolant etc.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
I was going to replace it with a genuine calsonic radiator, but after doing my research I see they are only 16mm thick single core and made in Thailand. I'd rather get one that's non genuine, made in Australia and 26mm thick cored. I might as well just replace all the hoses at the same time too.

No need for plastic tanks, there are solid aluminium radiators available. I have a custom made one on one of my other cars that cost over 2k and its a work of art.

BTW, the car currently has zero problems and this is a preventative measure as i don't want to be stranded in the middle of the desert.