Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there any point for a v6?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
hi guys and girls..i know there is a million posts on exhausts and extractors but i got a few questions about my exec (175kw).

Is there any point putting extractors on a v6 to start with and if so much gains?
Would it be best to just put a cat back on for a nice sound and slightly better flow?
What is some good brands and what would be a fair price for parts and fitment (drive in drive out pice)..and if i was to get just a catback would single 3" with twin tips be the way to go..instead of a twin system..

also when i get an exhaust i will probably buy a mace cai and fit that at the same time..and eventually will be getting a tune to get rid of torque management which is why i ask about the extractors.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
You do get a tiny performance advantage from the extractors and the sound you just can not compete with. I got them on my wagon and even though it was a bit expensive, to me it was worth it.

Oppy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 25th Anniversary Edition
get it for a small performance gain. nto for the sound. cos its an alloytec and chances are itl sound s**thouse.

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
You need to decide what you want, nice sound or a minimal performance increase.

A cat back will give a nice sound, and add a slight increase in power.

Extractors will make it sound **** house, but give a better boost in power.

IMO just go the cat back, it's not worth the hassle getting extractors, and it's very likely you won't be happy with the sound.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
hi guys and girls..i know there is a million posts on exhausts and extractors but i got a few questions about my exec (175kw).

Is there any point putting extractors on a v6 to start with and if so much gains?
Would it be best to just put a cat back on for a nice sound and slightly better flow?
What is some good brands and what would be a fair price for parts and fitment (drive in drive out pice)..and if i was to get just a catback would single 3" with twin tips be the way to go..instead of a twin system..

also when i get an exhaust i will probably buy a mace cai and fit that at the same time..and eventually will be getting a tune to get rid of torque management which is why i ask about the extractors.

go single 2.5 mate, single 3inch is overkill for a stock v6

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
You need to decide what you want, nice sound or a minimal performance increase.

A cat back will give a nice sound, and add a slight increase in power.

Extractors will make it sound **** house, but give a better boost in power.

IMO just go the cat back, it's not worth the hassle getting extractors, and it's very likely you won't be happy with the sound.

not really after a mad performance boost as it is a 6..and the fact im still on green p's..will never be looking at forced induction as i would rather a v8..so looks like a 2.5" catback with twin tips at the rear is the way to go as i just want a nice note out of it rather then a loud crackle and pop (im in a car club on the coast and theres a vz exec that sounds really ricer and theres also a vz calais that sounds like a wet fart in a milo tin, and im after neither)..something to liven it up a bit instead of the stock system it's got. Any good brands to keep an eye out for and rough prices?

Oppy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 25th Anniversary Edition
You will struggle to find sumthing that makes it sounds amazing. the alloytec engine just doesnt sound nice. The best one i have herd had a 2.5 inch dual system. but like i said, dont expect it to sound great. If it was me id leave it as it is.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Given everything you have just said, I would keep the money in the bank and wait till you can drive an 8.

Failing that use it to get a tune, some nice speakers, good tyres, or something.

Alloytecs just don't sound good with an exhaust by most accounts, and most performance gains will probably be in your head because it sounds faster.

Put the money towards something more worthwhile is my advice.

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Mate i got Pacemaker ceramic coated headers and ballistic hi flow cats and love it!! i still have the stock catbak n it sounds great but thats me! might sounds **** to u wont know until u been in a car wit headerss cats .. hope that helps!

Has this made a difference to the external sound
or can you just hear it in the cabin or both.