Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is this lifter noise? or timeing chain..or neither

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
its probably just snapped the chain tensioner off the engine as they do .my mate did over 100000 kms after his tensioner dissappered into the sump no worries apart from everyone on the street looking at the noisy car .buy the time we changed it the chain was so stretched it was nearly touching together

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
its probably just snapped the chain tensioner off the engine as they do .my mate did over 100000 kms after his tensioner dissappered into the sump no worries apart from everyone on the street looking at the noisy car .buy the time we changed it the chain was so stretched it was nearly touching together

yeh thats what me dad was thinking....he was saying that i should buy the tensioner and try that first but i said if i was gonna take the timming cover off ill do it the first time not the second (as its surely to be stretched ) .......tensioner is 21 bucks and the chain plus gaskets and sprockets is 140 bucks

just gotta save some $$ and while im there im gonna change the sump gasket aswell

:thumbsup:thanks:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 calais v redline
mine was the balance shaft so we got the motor rebuilt then
had the same problem after gettin the motor rebuilt 5 times we finally got it right

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
well guys/girls after serching for ages i have come accross this thread and his problem sounded exacly the same as mine but mine is a bit more rattly lol

hers the link http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/30042-timing-chain-rattle.html there is a mp3 sound clip in there just read down a few posts and it should be there

after all it was the timming chain tensioner in his case

cheers

edit: also i hear that it is possable to replce the tensioner on a seris 1 with a seris 2 tensioner as its a better setup however when i asked me local parts place they said there totally different and wont fit????? any way ..can i put a series 2 tensioner on a serues 1? what are the benifits?

thanks

Last edited:

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
there is a new revised tensioner design nowdays that is not so prone to breaking comes with the timing chain and sprockets

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
edit: also i hear that it is possable to replce the tensioner on a seris 1 with a seris 2 tensioner as its a better setup however when i asked me local parts place they said there totally different and wont fit????? any way ..can i put a series 2 tensioner on a serues 1? what are the benifits?

thanks

Just checked at work and the S1 and S2 tensioners are exactly the same part number. There was a change on the VP but even some of them still used the same tensioner.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just checked at work and the S1 and S2 tensioners are exactly the same part number. There was a change on the VP but even some of them still used the same tensioner.

oh ok thanks for that...much appreciated:thumbsup:

looks like they all use the same tensioner now as maybe they found out that one design was better then the other maybe:p

anyway thanks