Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this possible or am I dreaming? LCD monitor mounting.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
Just a quick update . . . . I have spent about 8 hrs over the weenkend sanding and shaping and have made a few mods. Approx 15hrs have gone into this project so far and I reckon there is another 40hrs to go.

I will post a few more pics in the morning when I get to work.

Having never worked with fibreglass before I am a little surprised how easy it is to work with (especially since the old guy at the shop is so helpful).

To speed the process up I bought a rotary tool (called a "Dremel") from Bunning on the weekend. It came with 75 different cutting and shaping bits and has been a big help.

Since I have had so much luck with the guy at the fibreglass shop I am going to try my luck at the local panel beaters when it is time to paint. I reckon if I hang around like a bad smell and ask lots of questions they might help me just to get rid of me!

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
Here's some pics from the weekends work.

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

ply2.jpg

ply1.jpg

ply3.jpg

Still heaps of shaping to do to get the front nice and square but the basic design is now taking shape.

RichoVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
everything is looking good man, and you were asking if its possible or if you were dreaming! looks possible to me, keep it up, can't wait for more updates

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I would suggest trying to shave about 10mm off the bottom of the mount to sink the screen a bit lower into the console. It seems to be rather high at the moment.

Other than that - wow, you've been busy! Keep the updates coming.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
I would suggest trying to shave about 10mm off the bottom of the mount to sink the screen a bit lower into the console. It seems to be rather high at the moment.

Other than that - wow, you've been busy! Keep the updates coming.

You are 100% correct. It is definitely sitting too high at the moment. I have done some more work tonight but am thinking of canning prototype 1 and starting on prototype 2.

My screen arrived from the US this morning. The touch screen works a treat. After sitting the actual screen on the dash I have realised that I can lover the overall profile of my "pod" by at least 20mm.

Prototype 2 will also fall away on a lot steeper angle towards the windscreen. I made proto 1 a bit of a "dome" shape because I though I might have needed a bit of room to manouver the screen inside. Now that I have the screen and pulled it apart I realise this is not such a big issue.

So the theme for proto 2 . . . . lower profile . . . less bulky appearance.

It just seems like such a shame to throw away proto 1 after about 20hrs of work!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
sell it on ebay!! :p

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
crackin work there mate! ive been scilently following this since you started and going from 'can it be done' to actually givin it a go is bloody great! one thing though i think it would attract alot of attention from our mates in blue. Have you thought about mounting it on a pivet point? hard to explain. the screen it 7" right? why would it be mounted in a mould like you have there, but make it fold down when not is use? aka when the cars parked. Or make it like a door, using the original cover that goes there to cover it? ill post some cave man drawings in a sec

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
crackin work there mate! ive been scilently following this since you started and going from 'can it be done' to actually givin it a go is bloody great! one thing though i think it would attract alot of attention from our mates in blue. Have you thought about mounting it on a pivet point? hard to explain. the screen it 7" right? why would it be mounted in a mould like you have there, but make it fold down when not is use? aka when the cars parked. Or make it like a door, using the original cover that goes there to cover it? ill post some cave man drawings in a sec

Great idea but it won't work. The compartment tapers towards the windscreen and is not wide enough at the rear for the screen to fold back. Secondly, you would need to do a heck of a lot of choping to make the compartment deep enough to do this.

By building the "pod" I will not have to make any alterations to the dash and can easily restore it to original condition if I choose to sell at some later time.

RichoVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
have you started the second? or thought of a design? same place? im really interested in this thread, keep up the good work

also, where did you get all your fibreglass gear from? how much was it? thanks