Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this wiring kit any good?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah well a member on here told me he'd give a roll to me for $50 that should be the right length (will check up on that obviously) but that sounds cheap for what it would be in stores as 6m of 4awg is bout $54

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
For once people are actually recommending that people go way overboard on wiring rather than the exact opposite.

4awg split into 2 short runs of 8awg will be fine for such a small system, but will leave very little room for future upgrades.

Pretty much everything that's been said is true, but exaggerated. Yes, more connections=more resistance, but in the real world there will be NO noticeable difference. Yes, thicker power/ground wire would be better, but in the real world there will be NO noticeable difference between 4awg main run and 2awg main run in a small system.

$129 for an Audioline 4awg kit is a rip off. With the strong aussie dollar at the moment you would be crazy to spend $129 on Audioline **** when you could get a KnuConcepts 0gauge kit for almost the same price. Thicker, so it should keep the overkill brigade here happy, almost the exact same price once you factor in postage and far better quality wiring/fittings. Once you've seen 0awg flex the way this does you won't want to work with anything else.

0 GAUGE DUAL AMP POWER KIT

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Captain Kermit - It does not matter the size of the system, it comes down to the amount of current the amplifiers will draw. It's always a good idea to factor in small voltage drops aswell. You can't simply base everything on 13.8 V.

Have a read of the table - WIRE Maybe not the best link for point of reference, but it's one of the simplest one's i have found to show other people.

Also, it does not matter whether the runs of 8 awg are 30 cm, or 10 ft each, the fact is you will be drawing current at some point, through 8 awg wire.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Well for the record i dont plan to do any future upgrades, not in this car anyway and not for a while if any so yeah.

So for a basic reference, that wiring kit, or any that splits 4ga to 8ga would be too small for my system (mentioned above).

cheers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
Captain Kermit - It does not matter the size of the system, it comes down to the amount of current the amplifiers will draw. It's always a good idea to factor in small voltage drops aswell. You can't simply base everything on 13.8 V.

Have a read of the table - WIRE Maybe not the best link for point of reference, but it's one of the simplest one's i have found to show other people.

Also, it does not matter whether the runs of 8 awg are 30 cm, or 10 ft each, the fact is you will be drawing current at some point, through 8 awg wire.
There is a calculator on the site you linked that shows shorter runs of cabling can handle more current while sustaining less voltage drop than the same gauge cable over a longer length. Thank you for rendering your own post pointless.

I sustain my argument that 4gauge wiring run the length of the car, and then split using a fused distribution block into 2 short 8gauge runs will be sufficient. I also sustain my argument that you would be better off buying from the US and getting bigger, better wiring for the same price.

Alpines website and Jaycar's specifications also support my view, and considering they are the manufacturers of the products being used they can probably be trusted.

I'm currently installing 2 DD9915's and a 6,500wRMS monoblock into my car using 3 batteries (Optima D34 in the engine bay and 2 Absorbed Power 55AH batts in the boot) and a shitload of 0gauge wiring. I do not need to be schooled on current draw and voltage loss.

Also, JAKE-26, Generally buying wiring outside of a kit is a bit of a rip off, unless it's the only thing you need. That 2awg wiring may be cheap, but once you buy fuse holders, distribution blocks, ring/fork terminals it will likely add up to more than just buying a kit in the first place.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Ok that makes sense.

Would I be better off buying 2 separate 4awg kits, as apposed to that cheap 2 amplifier kit i linked?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
The one you linked isn't cheap. $129 for a 4gauge wiring kit is a bit over the top, especially considering the reputation Audioline have made for themselves. I wouldn't piss on anything with Audioline written on it if it was on fire. You can get a decent quality stinger 4gauge kit from any decent car audio store for less than that. But if you're happy to spend that much, the kit I linked before will be perfect for your needs.

If you were to budget $200 for all of your wiring needs then I'd recommend the Knuconcepts 0gauge kit I linked earlier. It includes everything you need, aside from speaker wire, but in most cases that will be supplied with your speakers any way, and you can grab a few metres of 16gauge OFC speaker wire for your sub for a pittance at any electronics store. It will cost $160, delivered to your door and includes a top quality fused distribution block and they even throw in an extra 60cm length of 0gauge for you to upgrade your battery-chassis ground. Not many kits have been put together with this level of foresight. Select a 200A fuse for the main fuse and a 120A and an 80A fuse for the two smaller ones that go in the distro block if you do go this way.