Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issue with Alternator/Battery light in VR V6

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Seems strange how you have tried two different alternators and have the exact same thing happen with both,unless the regulator is stuffed in both of em.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd triple check the cable at the back of the alternator as previously suggested....remove it from the connector and try and flex the cable behind the terminal and for the first 4 inches (100mm)...if it is extra stiff or crunchy when bent it may be open circuit inside. It's pretty rare for the regulators to fail.

-=$natch=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II Equipe smokey 3.8 + clunky Auto
To Wagon Man, I did click on the link and got nothing...

To Hako, I have checked all of the main wiring for the charging system, cleaned up a few connectors and earth points, rewired a few connectors...all of appears to be good. The cable behind the alternator seems good.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Do these pics on the link need flashplayer to be viewed?I had trouble not seeing some pictures etc and it ended up being flashplayer has stuffed up and needed reinstalling.And its was easy to do,takes about a minute.

-=$natch=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II Equipe smokey 3.8 + clunky Auto
Hmm...it is working fine now. Before hand all that was coming up was "this is what the regulator looks like" but no picture. Firefox must have been having a hissy!

timVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRV6 ute
I've been having the same problem with my vr ute just started 2 ignore the idiot light then yesterdaywent to go fishing and broke down on me 40kms from home manage to get jump start off some1 then had 2 drive 30kms in failsafe mode on eastlink wasnt enough power 4 the trans solenoids to work correctly by the time i got home the alternator was sending massive sparks out the windings in the end had 2 change alternator which cost $260 trade what a joke retail is over $410 was almost going 2 go 2 pickapart and go with a s/hand 1 but didnt want it to happen again hopefully you can get away with a regulator only.