Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

issues with vy s?

P

Paz-VY

hey guys, just trying to get feel for the commodore range, im selling my shitty pulsar, and upgrading to an '02 vy s... i just wanted to know is there anything that i should know when looking around for one, major issues or the likes...

the other thing, which i know is going to be my decision in the end, is to get my car from a private sale, or through a car yard?

Cheers guys
Paz

vrclubbie

Reaction score
just know the vt-vy cars are heavy and that the ecotech struggles to move em a bit, personally i would have a manual v6 or superchared auto, prolly the s/c auto much stronger motor, easy power upgrades and hold value better and make sure u get 1 with lsd also the manuals are a bit of a noisey box, try to get 1 optioned up a bit with low kms and make sure u get a service history. you are getting a pretty new car it should be immaculate condition so not too much to look for that stuffed, i would start lookin for a supercharged auto with lsd (i think the s/c came standard with this) and 17" rims or even 18"s if your lucky

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
Recall

I have a vy 'S' and i just got a recall letter because of some power steering issue.

P

Professor Vert.

the power steer recall is easy, its just a small hose, holden just stressed over it cause it was the wrong grade rubber i think thats what it was, anywho some radiators leaked from new, but its all warranty anyway, i like them the steering wheels are real chunky and good to hold, nice dash controls nice cars, get one.

P

Professor Vert.

oh yeah one more really funny thing, i found this one after ages of diagnosis it made me laugh a lot. any who the horn kept going off on this vy after it had been parked in the sun with the windows up for a while. i was told it was the alarm going off but it wasnt! it turned out to be a barcode sticker with a metallic back that sits on the steering coloumn behind the horn pad, it peels half off and touches the back of the horn pad, the excessive cabin temp due to being parked in the sun causes the adhesive to soften and the metallic back to bridge the gap and hence make the horn go off, since that one i had heaps more do it too. so look out for that one he he

C

commodore_vy

My father has a VY S SII V6 4A (65000kms) and it hasnt had a problem yet other that the pwr steering hose thingo. Its a great car and and gets a fair old thrashing, One thing that I have seen is that the factory leather colour starts to fade a bit and get hairline cracks in it, and thats why in the beginning he had aftermarket leather put in and you couldnt tell the difference untill the car was a 1yr old.....Other than that they are a great car and easy to maintain
;)