Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues zb

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Apparently it's the injectors. Bloke at the service centre asked me how long I had on the warranty and when I told him I had a few more years left, he said to get rid of it as they've had a few die like this. Said there was one coming back in on a tow truck that was in a month ago.

Then started going on about how great the new Mitsubishis are (since Holden died, this dealer is now Mitsubishi). Could be talking crap just trying to make a sale.
I think so. Unless it's blowing copious amounts of smoke and/or making horrible load knocking noises I'd say it's something rather simple.

Mistubishi, the epitome of Japanese car manufacturing. I've never owned one, drove one for a few years a while back as a work vehicle, can't say I was impressed. There was a period 3 or 4 years ago that when ever you saw a car belching blue exhaust fumes you could bet it was a Mitsubishi. Perhaps that was confined to the used Jap imports we have over here. Anyway I'd be taking his "recommendation" with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
I think so. Unless it's blowing copious amounts of smoke and/or making horrible load knocking noises I'd say it's something rather simple.

Mistubishi, the epitome of Japanese car manufacturing. I've never owned one, drove one for a few years a while back as a work vehicle, can't say I was impressed. There was a period 3 or 4 years ago that when ever you saw a car belching blue exhaust fumes you could bet it was a Mitsubishi. Perhaps that was confined to the used Jap imports we have over here. Anyway I'd be taking his "recommendation" with a grain of salt.

Had a Triton as a work vehicle four years back. What a heap of crap that is.

Reactions: TJP

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
That's a fair few km's. Injectors have certainly been known to fail within that sort of mileage before. Could also be common rail fuel supply system failure as those systems are under enormous pressure.
Having previously owned a Mercedes diesel I'd be extremely reluctant o own another diesel engine. They are extremely complicated and prone to really expensive repairs. The money you save with their fuel efficiency is really an illusion in my opinion because they bite hard with expensive repairs.
Turbo seal failures and DPF failures are other very common and expensive items.

In 75,000 km's I had serious and ongoing issues with DPF clogging and turbo seal failures twice.
Fix it and sell it would be my advice.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
The car is on a novated lease because I knew I'd be doing a lot of k's. The plan was to swap it out in July when the lease was up, but it's been a nice car to drive and figured I'd go another year. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The money you save with their fuel efficiency is really an illusion in my opinion because they bite hard with expensive repairs.
This can be so true. A bad batch of fuel and you’re forked in more ways than one…

Old school diesels are so much easier to deal with but not as fuel efficient or as clean… Something about a cake and eating it may come to mind :p

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
This can be so true. A bad batch of fuel and you’re forked in more ways than one…

Old school diesels are so much easier to deal with but not as fuel efficient or as clean… Something about a cake and eating it may come to mind :p

I wonder if that's what happened because they cleaned the tank and fuel lines, (they did ask if I'd recently filled up but that wasn't the case) but that might also be standard procedure when replacing injectors.

Finally got it back two weeks after the injectors were installed. Apparently there was a software issue and the computer wouldn't recognise the injectors. They had to get someone in Melb to actually write code to get it going again.

Tempted to go electric after all this.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I wonder if that's what happened because they cleaned the tank and fuel lines, (they did ask if I'd recently filled up but that wasn't the case) but that might also be standard procedure when replacing injectors.
I’d expect it would be prudent to flush the tank and lines whenever doing injectors. It’s especially important with diesel as, of all things, yeast, fungus or algae can grow in a diesel tank :eek: and you’d want it all to be clean and clear going forward:)

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Makes sense to me, may as well while the job is being done. Even if it was dirty fuel that caused it, they fixed it under warranty so despite the pain in the butt it didn't cost anything.