Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It seems I was conned :-(

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden VZ SS Commodore
Well I picked up my VX SS last night from the dealer and took the car to Holden for a service today.

As it turns out the car needs

2x Engine Mounts
Rear main seal is leaking
Sump is leaking and requires sealing

At a cost of almost 4k to be done :-(

I contacted the dealer today and they have said they will refund the money on the car. This is only because the road worthy wasn't done on the vehicle and I had to go in today to have it done and get the road worthy certificate.

At least I get my money back but feeling duped and disappointed.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
At least I get my money back but feeling duped and disappointed.

I don't see why, I would be relived as all hell. Just like there are many fish in the sea, there are many more Commodores to buy. You should hardly feel duped if they're doing something to fix the problem with minimal fuss.

Not like it was a dodgy deal either, it's all maintenance stuff that would need to be replaced eventually, particularly in a car this old. Not like it threw a piston or the gearbox exploded or whatever.

I would really hardly call it being conned with the end result. What is the point of this thread?

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I believe the dealer knew of the issue with the car.we purchased it last Saturday and were only able to pick it up last night. We got there at 5 and waited until 6 as the car sales guy took the car away, we weren't informed as to where. We found our they were taking it for the road worthy and their mechanic wasn't there so there was no road worthy certificate issued last night. I was told to bring it back today and it would take 10 minutes. Last night I told the dealer I was taking the car to Holden for a service and that I didn't see any reason why Holden couldn't do the road worthy on it. The dealer was very reluctant for me to do that as they will come back with a list of things that were little and didn't matter and prevent it being road worthied. My opinion is the dealer knew of the problems and is giving my money back only because he can't legally sell a registered car without a road worthy. His mechanic just didn't get to the car before it was taken away and the dealer wasn't expecting me to be taking the car to Holden this morning. That is the point of this thread.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ah, I see. Your original post reads as if you bought it from Holden.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
4 grand.... All those problems are standard old commodore problems. Not that hard to fix.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I have to throw this out there, but even a basic inspection would have picked up the issues you mentioned above.

Caveat Emptor.

Also $4,000 seems excessive to repair those issues. I would guess the dealer smelt a **** fight and took the best option, which, in NZ at least they are quite entitled to do.

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am not a mechanic. I drove the car and it seemed fine. The engine and engine bay was extremely clean and the car was on gravel. When I looked underneath as best as I could I could not see a leak. It is only after I took the car to Holden and got back and looked on the garage floor I saw the leak and called Holden and they were about to call me and told me the issue.

4k is excessive. I have called around some mechanics and they quotes $1700 or there abouts. I don't have another $1700 to throw at it tight now.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Not sure what the law is up in NSW. But in VIC, I always take a car for a RWC even if I have been supplied one as the previous issuer is responsible for items that werent checked or are deemed to be faulty within 30 days of the original RWC.

4k though, that sounds an awful lot.

Sump gasket, meh. Engine mounts, 100 bucks. Rear main seal - sure big job, but not 2-3 grand worth a job.