Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Its Finished!!!

I

igotafastcar

yeh im in the early stages of throwing down two of those pioneer suckers behind each seat! its a bit of a gamble because im finding it hard to talk to someone who has worked with these subs..can only experiment i guess, i'll let you all know how i got..on paper it looks like its going to rock when its finished!! any sugestions would go down a treat!

V

vprsvmille

Sorry to be hijacking the thread, but you can have a look at this space over the next several days:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=17487

One thing I'd like to ask to the guys that have already mounted the 12's into the fuel tank cavity is how you held the box in place? Was it hardmounted to the floor area or was it just held in place with foam etc?

Cheers

P

plattfussj

So when mounting the subs beside the fuel tank did u lot use port holes all the way into the cab or just let it filter through
thanks

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
i head you can use a broom to knock out the plugs in the ends of the ports and use em to port into the cabin, but port sizing is a big thing, if you dont have a big enough port you are effectively just creating a leaky box, if you want to find out a bout ports and port sizing go to www.ddaudio.com and browse around..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG UTE
The box i have is probably a little bit smaller then recommended, If i stuff it with a bit of foam and sheet, what affect would that have on the sound quality work load etc.
Thanks

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey 610 - a slightly smaller box will sacrifice a little of the very bottom end frequency response, but more importantly will affect the port tuning quite a bit. This can potentially cause a resonance at one particular frequency, making it really boomy on one particular bass note. (and some like it this way!) Also be careful about stuffing too much damping material in there, because it takes up a little of the volume itself and subtracts from the total capacity.

Port tuning is a pretty fine balance between several parameters of the driver itself, the volume of the box, and the port tuning frequency. That's why I have to have a bit of a chuckle at these generic subwoofer boxes that can be bought from just about anywhere, with the ports and everything already fitted. "Just choose your sub and screw it in..." But of course, that means neither the box nor the port are properly tuned for the driver.

There are a lot of programs out there to help with port tuning, but you have to feed a few parameters in to get the figures out. Many of the lower end subwoofer drivers have rather arbitrarily calculated parameters supplied, if at all!

Hope it helps anyhow. Cheerz! :thumbsup:

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
you have to tune your port to you box volume, you do need to know various aspects of your sub,

Quote from ddaudio.com
"Lets say we have a 12 inch speaker in a box, roughly 100 sqin of surface area. Many programs and manufacturer sites will suggest a 4" diameter port for a 12" vented box. A 4" diameter port has about 12 sqin of area. This is about an 8-1 ratio of cone area to port area. If the 12 inch cone moves 0.25", the port must move 2.0". It can handle this, but when the cone is moving 1.0", the port must move 8 inches! Now you've got a leaky sealed box."