Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake's VT Exec, first car!

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
woo yeeeah! gunna be good govna!

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Anyone got a rough idea of installation cost for springs+shocks?

And nah I'm not gonna attempt it myself. Wouldn't know the first thing about it and even if it's "really easy" I'm still not gonna risk it.

If you're not too far from Hampton Park/ Dandenong area, I'll help you one night and do it with you. It's actually pretty easy.. two bolts for the shocks on the rear (1 in boot, 1 on trailing arm).

Pretty much, jack it up @ the diff, put car stands under the side skirts both sides (obviously on jack points)
Lower the jack, take hand brake off.
Undo the top and bottom shock bolts, you should be able to just push down on the trailing arm and your old springs will come out without compressing them.

New springs will just fall out without new shorter shocks, so keep in mind, you're not only sacrificing comfortability, but if you go over a train track and your back end drops and you lose the springs, you'll regret not having the better shocks.

As for the fronts, I have only done them one, but it's not too hard.

Same as before, undo the bolts, when the struts are out, undo the bolt on the and and make sure it's against the wall when you do it so you don't shoot your strut tops like 10 metres away like i did.

Changing the spring is pretty easy then sticking em back in. Short way to tell you how to do it but yeah.

If you do need a hand let me know, I don't really mind. People will charge you like $300 to do it. You can just get a munroe GT shocks + SL spring kit for $580 on ebay. Or somewhere around there.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Thanks DevilDrake for the advice and the offer, but I still think I'll be getting a pro to install it as I'l be getting a camber kit in too.
Another question pricing wise, would it be cheaper to buy the camber kit from here, or ebay etc, and get someone to install them both, or just get a shop to supply a camber kit? i've seen them for like $160ish on ebay, or gsr's shop on here. Can't wait to see how it looks when it's done :)

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Well after a LONG night yesterday (couple of rookie mistakes) a bloke i know helped my put the springs in! Finally not a 4wd :) It's only superlows so not too low but I'm happy! I thought it might have been a bit lower but im still happy, still practical :D
Few different shots!

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Can't tell much from the pic but it's running a fair bit of camber :(
IMG_0338.jpg

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
the springs will settle about 5-10mm man, but it can take a few months.

dont bother with a camber kit just get a VXII-VY diff cradle, my car on ultralows and 20's had 0.2 degrees of postive camber.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
still got stock shocks in mate? just replaced the springs? thinking of putting my superlows in my VT but no coin to replace the shocks so wondering how it drives?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
the springs will settle about 5-10mm man, but it can take a few months.

dont bother with a camber kit just get a VXII-VY diff cradle, my car on ultralows and 20's had 0.2 degrees of postive camber.
They're second hand springs so I'm guessing they won't settle? Also these pics don't do it too much justice it's a bit lower than it looks!
I've read that alot, but I'm a bit iffy about that sorta thing. Small mods I'm ok with and everyone will say it's fine but I just dunno about something like that... Still undecided about a kit yet, I'll see in a couple of weeks after allignment!

still got stock shocks in mate? just replaced the springs? thinking of putting my superlows in my VT but no coin to replace the shocks so wondering how it drives?

Yeah still got the stockers, and last night we discovered they're pretty ####ed! along with some bushes. I can tell it rides a little rougher over bumps, but in all honestly man it's no where near as unbearable as some of the users on here make it out to be. If my shocks weren't ####ed I wouldn't even care about replacing them now.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Unfortunately you have a lowered VT, hello camber. A camber kit will help but not solve it, VY cradle and you can get no camber, my camber on the rear actually goes the other way haha.