Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can't believe your government can't write a few laws and change coal plants to gas, so much cleaner and a Perfect stop gap till you figure out what ever is next.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I can't say I've done a lot of research on SMR's but aren't there like 15-20 countries developing them at present?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
They are in service in Russia and China. Nfi where they were made. That's beside the point. Once again you get your facts completely wrong and try to deflect your own incompetence to some other issue.

So your objection is an economic one?

The problem is that we aren't. In Vic Hazelwood was shut down a few years ago which was way over due. It's original plan for that place was to shut down in the 80's but it had band aid upon band aid till it was shut 5 or so years ago. The problem is there is no base loa 24/7 replacement, same same for every other base load power plant that shuts down. I don't see anybody commissioning a coal plant ever again in Aus. Gas should be on the table but probably won't so here we are.

Yep. I'll explain for others.
And look at the cost of living these days. Unless you farm all your own food and mine your own fuel, you're completely reliant on the energy chain.
Everyone talks of the supply chain, well the energy chain is there too, and labor seem intent on making it cost more.
This makes everything go up, as the terminus that deploys fuel into tankers has to pay a higher electricity bill, the service stations have to pay more, so fuel goes up, now the delivery trucks have to pay more.
Then the warehouses that store food have to pay more, then the colesworths shop fronts have to pay more.
The phone companies running exchanges have to pay more.
The data centers managing all the payment systems have to pay more.

So what these companies do is increase their pricing to compensate, so we see that as inflation, so now you have to pay more, so you ask your boss for more money, then all the employees want more more money so small businesses have to increase their pricing to pay for all these increases.

It all stems from energy increasing in cost, because our retarded minister for energy is a complete numpty. Coal sations are closing down and there has been no strategy to replace the base load power, so now big companies are moving off shore where they can get good cheap power in other parts of Aisa.
Meanwhile we chase this obsessive goal of net zero and are ruining our economy to try and reduce 1.5% of the worlds carbon.
We could burn coal here to increase our energy use and decrease the price, push industry to make cleaner power generation and we would likely have a bigger impact on reducing carbon helping other countries reduce their emissions, not stifling our selves.

It's pure madness.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I can't believe your government can't write a few laws and change coal plants to gas, so much cleaner and a Perfect stop gap till you figure out what ever is next.

Our government can't do that, because they sold most of our coal plants.
Then they forced them to make sure they shut down by certain dates, but some are closing early because they need massive upgrades, but if the power production won't be there then it makes it finacially stupid for the companies to put any more cash into these dinosaurs.

Which leaves the government with the option of fronting the money, which they don't have.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
because of the greens tail wagging the dog

This too, they interrupt any progress because they hate any power that is not solar or wind. If they just fucked off and left the smart people alone to solve these issues we would be far better off.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

It's a bit hit/miss with gas. Carbon emissions are significantly lower than all but the best coal plants (the newest coal plants are actually quite good) but they have some wonderful benefits that you can turn it on/off with a whim cycling up/down within a few hours compared to days or more with coal. Also, environmentally they take a pittance of space a coal plant does + associated mine. The biggest drawback is available gas which is a bit all over the place but by no means unachievable.

I can't say I've done a lot of research on SMR's but aren't there like 15-20 countries developing them at present?

Yep and like any industry there will be a few winners that succeed and dominate the market with a lot of wannabe's falling over along the wayside. The winners may be companies not even founded yet. Time will tell.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's a bit hit/miss with gas. Carbon emissions are significantly lower than all but the best coal plants (the newest coal plants are actually quite good) but they have some wonderful benefits that you can turn it on/off with a whim cycling up/down within a few hours compared to days or more with coal. Also, environmentally they take a pittance of space a coal plant does + associated mine. The biggest drawback is available gas which is a bit all over the place but by no means unachievable.

Yep and like any industry there will be a few winners that succeed and dominate the market with a lot of wannabe's falling over along the wayside. The winners may be companies not even founded yet. Time will tell.

and this is why I said it's stupid we stop using coal.
We have an abundance if we used it to our advantage, then we could be booming in industrial terms.
If this was the case we could help build these new clean coal plants for other countries that are building dinosaurs of coal plants.
This would likely reduce global carbon for the time being more than our efforts.
But that ship has likely already sailed, leaving us with basically the choice of nuclear, or becoming a poor second-world **** hole.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unless this issue is resolved quickly it could very well be the cause of this government been a 1 term government!

Much hinges on the police enforcing the government "tough on crime and gangs" policy. Crime was a major reason why Labour lost the last election and if the new government doesn't fix it fast they are shooting themselves in the foot.