Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So you've only now found a paper from 2010 so up until that post you've been guessing?

I think that paper is a bit out of date, we are in 2024 now, if you are going to admonish the other user for out of date data then don't use out of date data yourself.

I'm sure coal plants are cheaper in China, everything is cheaper in China because the CCP subsidizes everything and the CCP controls the figures to make everything look good just like their record growth year on year or the number of people covid didn't kill in China. Take everything they publish with a large grain of salt and even if China can build much cheaper coal plants it doesn't mean that Australia can match those prices because you can't.

I wonder what Chinese health and safety standards are at these coal fired plants?

Did you actually click the link and read anything?

Interesting to see they have actually included SMR's in the info.

I'm actually at work so I barely had enough time to find that other paper.

But also if they don't include transmission lines into the cost of renewables, and then add the cost of coal mining into the price for coal.
That is a total misrepresentation.
China has been buying coal in but because of no new coal mines opening in Australia the rest of the world now needs to take up the slack.
What this means is that the price of coal will likely fall in the next year or two and keep falling for at least the next ten years.

Factor this in and coal will still be cheaper.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes but you totally ignor what I said about the planned 28,000km of transmission lines.
Which btw are set to tear through our best farming land and stifle farmers.
There's already farmers being under estimated for their land.
This is because it's set to cost hundreds of billions of dollars.

The amount of land that would be off limits due to transmission would be negligible. In a lot of cases the farmers can still use the land under the lines and only the area around the pylons themselves would be “off limits”.

Yes the transmission will have a decent capital cost but once it’s done, it’s done and the cost wouldn’t be anywhere near the cost of going nuclear.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Factor this in and coal will still be cheaper.

Coal can’t be cheaper than renewables which have no ongoing fuel cost. There is a reason I put solar panels on my house and not a diesel generator!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The amount of land that would be off limits due to transmission would be negligible. In a lot of cases the farmers can still use the land under the lines and only the area around the pylons themselves would be “off limits”.

Yes the transmission will have a decent capital cost but once it’s done, it’s done and the cost wouldn’t be anywhere near the cost of going nuclear.

There is already reports from farmers about this.
One farmer has been told they will either go through his silos or through his holding pens.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Coal can’t be cheaper than renewables which have no ongoing fuel cost. There is a reason I put solar panels on my house and not a diesel generator!

Yes but the initial investment has to be counted for.

In your example if you spend 10k on solar panels but 1k on a generator you then have 9k to pay for the fuel.
But if the fuel is $5 a litre then you won't get much use, but if fuel is 5c a litre then solar panels will be 20 years old before they make up that 9k difference.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes but you totally ignor what I said about the planned 28,000km of transmission lines.
Which btw are set to tear through our best farming land and stifle farmers.
There's already farmers being under estimated for their land.
This is because it's set to cost hundreds of billions of dollars.

We were talking about burning coal and coal plants and costs there off so why segue to a different topic.

So is the middle of the desert your best farming land?

I see you also ignored the question about reading the link.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is already reports from farmers about this.
One farmer has been told they will either go through his silos or through his holding pens.

OK. Link to said reports.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
We were talking about burning coal and coal plants and costs there off so why segue to a different topic.

So is the middle of the desert your best farming land?

I see you also ignored the question about reading the link.

I will read the link when I get home on my PC.

The 28,000km of lines aren't going through our dessert.

It matters because the Australian government is trying to claim renewable energy is cheaper, based off record high coal prices and they just left out the price for the 28,000km of transmission lines.
Their argument for this is that the transmission lines would likely get built anyway....... not if we went nuclear they wouldn't.