Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
That’s quite funny and ironic too - seeing how many times you have posted on this forum today! :cool:

And just a hint, ‘do as I say, not as I do’ doesn’t cut it. It’s absolute hypocrisy to say that you can use your phone at work but they can’t.
And get a bonus at the end of the month.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Man, I'd love to be on $28 per hour doing the job I do, fitting truck/backhoe tyres....Not to mention 4X4 and car tyres....Oh and do I add in the wheel alignments, front end work and brake pad jobs?

I'm definately in the wrong trade
If you're on less than $28 an hour doing that I would go elsewhere. Hell you could go be a **** kicker at Bunnings and start on almost $28

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Covid caused havoc with raw materials for paint suppliers, we used to get on average around a 4-5% rise in materials once per year. During and post covid some suppliers it's been around 6-7% THREE times a year. It just means I have to massively increase rates to cover increases.

My dad uses a lot of epoxy, he was telling me how much stuff is costing, I said just jack your prices up even higher, he said he has, no wonder he has heaps of cash.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That’s quite funny and ironic too - seeing how many times you have posted on this forum today! :cool:

And just a hint, ‘do as I say, not as I do’ doesn’t cut it. It’s absolute hypocrisy to say that you can use your phone at work but they can’t.

No it's not.
They are there to learn, they aren't capable of doing what a senior tradesman does so they have a different set of rules, well they used to.
Your attitude permeates down through the trades from outside institutions, and it is part of the reason that tradesmen won't take apprentices on.
You don't just walk in as a 1st year and expect to be treated like a guy who is a master and has been doing the trade for 20 years.
The system used to work, it was set up so that young people come in and do what they are told, the **** jobs, and then they slowly gain respect and experience.
If people like you want to turn that on it's head, reap what you sow, no self respecting tradesmen will hire a self entitled dipshit, and now it's getting harder to sack them, so you just don't hire them.
Then people like JD come up with conspiracy theories about it being some concerted effort by tradesmen.

I've been in my trade for 16 years, If I finish all the allocated work by 2pm then I'll do what I want with my time, when an apprentice is only doing one 5th'éd of the work then they can get off their phone and keep working, and if they finish, pick up the broom and sweep, or clean the drains out.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't know. Apprentices are there to learn. We all had to learn and you don't learn by playing on your phone.

At the end of the day, as an apprentice you start at the bottom of the heap and work your way up learning all the jobs starting with sweeping the floor. I got to boss people about because I had years of experience and knew my **** and that is what time and experience gets you.

But we need apprentices and there needs to be apprenticeship schemes. Here in NZ there are government sponsored schemes that help the employer with the cost of said apprentices but even then it's not enough. There aren't enough plumbers and electricians etc and AI ain't going to be doing that **** but we do have a major issue with the younger generations and their willingness to actually work.

But ultimately when there is work to do the phones should be away.

The willingness to work is spurred on by institutions like universities that think that old style apprenticeships is traumatic ect. I think all these uni graduates should stay out of discussing how tradesmen teach, they already spent the last 50 years or longer looking down on the trades, maybe they should stay out of discussions on professions that they view as beneath them.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Interestingly, NZ changed the school system many years ago. Not everyone needs to or should go to uni, trades were pushed, jobs other than uni were acceptable. Don't know how well it's worked as we still lack a lot of trades people.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
No it's not.
They are there to learn, they aren't capable of doing what a senior tradesman does so they have a different set of rules, well they used to.
Your attitude permeates down through the trades from outside institutions, and it is part of the reason that tradesmen won't take apprentices on.
You don't just walk in as a 1st year and expect to be treated like a guy who is a master and has been doing the trade for 20 years.
The system used to work, it was set up so that young people come in and do what they are told, the **** jobs, and then they slowly gain respect and experience.
If people like you want to turn that on it's head, reap what you sow, no self respecting tradesmen will hire a self entitled dipshit, and now it's getting harder to sack them, so you just don't hire them.
Then people like JD come up with conspiracy theories about it being some concerted effort by tradesmen.

I've been in my trade for 16 years, If I finish all the allocated work by 2pm then I'll do what I want with my time, when an apprentice is only doing one 5th'éd of the work then they can get off their phone and keep working, and if they finish, pick up the broom and sweep, or clean the drains out.

You might be ‘self respecting’, but no one respects a hypocrite - it doesn’t matter if they are a mechanic or a CEO. Respect is earned, and is quickly thrown away with the holier than thou ‘do as I say, not as I do’ attitude.

If you are having issues with the attitude of the apprentices, maybe start looking closer to home - i.e. your attitude.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No it's not.

Tradesman have to be off their phones to teach apprentices..Apprentices aren't surposed to teach themselves

Tradesman must be prepared to do the shite jobs as well, not stick their noses in the air, as though that's beneath them.

I find it is hard to sack people, so these slack asses that enjoy being on their phones or think shite jobs are beneath them get the heat turned up on them so they find another job. And I don't care if I'm called names....Everyone is equal and everyone is their to work, not shove their face in the phone

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You might be ‘self respecting’, but no one respects a hypocrite - it doesn’t matter if they are a mechanic or a CEO. Respect is earned, and is quickly thrown away with the holier than thou ‘do as I say, not as I do’ attitude.

If you are having issues with the attitude of the apprentices, maybe start looking closer to home - i.e. your attitude.

No that is totally incorrect.
An apprentice is there to work by a different set of rules.

It is do as I say and not what I do, if they can't handle that then they can leave.
It's not about being hoiler than others, it's the chain of command in the business, the apprentices are at the bottom, then it's the tradesmen, then the manager and then the owner.
That is the way it is, if you think it should be another way, then start your own construction business and show the millions of trademen around the world how they have been doing it wrong, and their fathers, and their fathers fathers ect.

Like I said dissenting voices from the outside, coming from people that couldn't move sixteen tons if their life depended on it, is not what is going to help with apprentices being hired.

How about you try this thing where you listen to people with first-hand experience.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you're on less than $28 an hour doing that I would go elsewhere. Hell you could go be a **** kicker at Bunnings and start on almost $28

There is shite money and there is good money.

Despite me making the comment about the rate, it's not about the hourly rate with me...It's the working conditions....I have jumped ship to earn less money because of the tossbag bosses.....

I live by the mantra...Money can't buy happiness.....