Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I understand that, but trumpeting on about how they stopped the boats (which is exactly how Abbott words it) isn't the right thing to do because people are now going to be "lol they didn't stop the boats, lol the age of entitlement is over for us but not for politicians claiming ridiculous travel allowances"

And then to call attention to the royal commission into Union corruption and shorten in particular when they can't even keep their own affairs in order is poor form.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Royal Commission has justified it's creation with its exposures so far and Shorten has been shown to be of questionable integrity but most of us already knew that.

The actions of Bishop do weaken the government's position. No argument there. However, I think it's safe to say that whilst her actions were stupid, they were legal. The Royal Commission is dealing with far more serious issues and one union official was recently arrested and charged for various alleged offences. Therefore the Labor stance regarding the Commission being a political "get square" or stunt don't really measure up.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I understand that, but trumpeting on about how they stopped the boats (which is exactly how Abbott words it) isn't the right thing to do because people are now going to be "lol they didn't stop the boats, lol the age of entitlement is over for us but not for politicians claiming ridiculous travel allowances"

And then to call attention to the royal commission into Union corruption and shorten in particular when they can't even keep their own affairs in order is poor form.

Ok this is how I see it..... Bishop looks to have been abusing her travel allowances and the right leaning people on this forum have rightly criticized her conduct. The left, for example you, can not in any shape or form find a way to congratulate the LNP for any success however as evidenced by your comments regarding the royal comission and shorten, the ALP can do no wrong.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Meh. Its just one more on the list of people who get yelled at for using their travel allowance. I remember when Labor leader John Brumby made the EXACT SAME charter flight and everyone made a stink about it.

Every side of politics does it. Dont act high and mighty.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Sheesh.... Travel allowances?

Here is used the Air Force 1 as vacation private jet with a huge entourage for their mates. Not only that, the White House has these lavish parties with all sorts of high dollar comedians and actors.

Talk about tax payer money waste and abuse.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have to wonder just how dumb Abbott can be at times.

When the media turned up the wick over Bronnygate, he turns around and says the whole thing pales into insignificance when compared to the value to the community of the multi-billion roadworks he was kicking off.

WTF?

Talk about a stupid analogy.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Meh. Its just one more on the list of people who get yelled at for using their travel allowance. I remember
when Labor leader John Brumby made the EXACT SAME charter flight and everyone made a stink about it.

Every side of politics does it. Dont act high and mighty.

Grennan

I don't think this is a case of being high and mighty. Bishop is displaying an arrogant and self-interested attitude towards the public without any display of regret or remorse, purely on the grounds that she is "entitled".

The media reports that she spent over $811 thousand last year under various parliamentary "entitlements". That sort of spending is exactly what the public's won't accept and it makes me wonder which planet she is living on.

At a time when her party is trying to rein in expenditure, often via very unpopular policies, her largesse is bloody disgraceful. She is a perfect example of the worst image the public has about politicians having their snouts in the trough.

And she's a poor Speaker as well.

Another Abbott stuff up - err.... Captain's call.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
spot on Cal.

unfortunately there is now a large knowledge of Politicians and using/abusing entitlements on both sides of politics.
and again there is, in many peoples views very poor options on both sides to have to choose from, as no one party really stands out, which is a disgrace.

almost wish they could just clean the slate and have some truly good people on both sides that think about everyone and not just themselves.

IE Katter and his Aussie Akubra stance.
trying to keep them 100% aussie instead of getting the skins from overseas.
however I can see the Akubra side being that due to problems there are insufficient resources available.
and they are atleast keeping the manufacturing of them here.
that's what I want to see. people who want to keep things in Australia and not letting overseas raid and pillage what is left here.

unfortunately both sides at the moment are an utter disgrace.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Abbott government MP Don Randall found dead

such a shame, Don was my local MP. he did a good job as a strong voice for Canning and pushing the issues that we face.

Ironically he was one of the MP's that was vocal about not wanting abbott as PM and him being the wrong person for the job. he was also one of the MP's that started the motion to topple his leadership.