Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
In other news. GetUp is on it early showing they dont base their opinions on actions rather than "HES LIBERAL GET HIM!".

I will actually say that I am a bit tired of the automatic hatred that many left wing social media sources engage in. Yes he still supports the same policies (it seems) but rather than focus on character assassination of the figure head, focus on the grassroots political action required to overturn these policies, if thats what they want to do. Wasting time cutting down someone just because they are a certain persuasion is ultimately fruitless. It causes zero change in society.

I think Turnbull has the makings of a good PM. I may not like his policies, but I think he has the suitable skills in communication etc. to pull the job off. He has some depth. OTOH Abbott couldn't even talk into the camera without broadcasting very plain and clear there was no depth to him in general. I liken Turnbull to John Howard. A good PM, again with policies I don't like. I liked Rudd. I liked Hawke. Keating was a bit arrogant, but in hindsight some of his insults were funny. Didn't like Gillard. I didn't get the sense of depth from her. And for exactly the same reason I don't like Shorten. I don't get the sense of conviction in speech, body language etc.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I will actually say that I am a bit tired of the automatic
hatred that many left wing social media sources engage in. Yes he still supports the same policies (it seems) but rather than focus on character assassination of the figure head, focus on the grassroots political action required to overturn these policies, if thats what they want to do. Wasting time cutting down someone just because they are a certain persuasion is ultimately fruitless. It causes zero change in society.

I think Turnbull has the makings of a good PM. I may not like his policies, but I think he has the suitable skills in communication etc. to pull the job off. He has some depth. OTOH Abbott couldn't even talk into the camera without broadcasting very plain and clear there was no depth to him in general. I liken Turnbull to John Howard. A good PM, again with policies I don't like. I liked Rudd. I liked Hawke. Keating was a bit arrogant, but in hindsight some of his insults were funny. Didn't like Gillard. I didn't get the sense of depth from her. And for exactly the same reason I don't like Shorten. I don't get the sense of conviction in speech, body language etc.

Good post and spot on. One of the most disappointing aspects to Abbott IMO was his inarticulate ad hoc speech. Prepared speeches were fine but too often during interviews he was found wanting and his responses were weak. While it may not be the most important strength needed for good leadership, strong diction is essential when communicating at the highest level.

Gillard was a bloody awful speaker because of her accent and nasal drone. Her voice annoyed people and detracted from what she was saying. Being a poor PM in her case didn't help her cause either.

I used to enjoy listening to Keating. His speeches were often damned funny and he had a cutting wit. Arrogant in the extreme but very capable. To be effective either in opposition or in government, Labor needs another leader in Keating's league and they don't have one.

Last edited:

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Your original quote:

Abbott's and Turnbull's politics aren't the same. Never mind. You edited it. Moving on.

I edited it but not to change politics to policies
I would suggest that if you are going to change the quoted text in the future that you cover your tracks first and make sure that you haven't quoted the original text previously.
Just makes you look like an idiot
Here's a screenshot of your post with the original text before you edit that one too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
gopher saying someone else looks like an idiot? LOL!

Correct this time. I am. Apparently I can't read properly or maybe I just assumed subconsciously your post didn't make sense. I really did read it as politics not policies.... Apologies. I'm off for some new glasses now. :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Gopher and Raj

Wish you two would knock it off. Who gives a flying **** what gopher's original post said? Every one of his posts is mindless leftist drivel with little if any intelligence behind it. He just loves to lob grenades to see who bites.

And Raj - you're just as heavily biased to the right and make outlandish statements that are often inflammatory and open to debate as well. Pick him up on the issues that really count - not his intelligence.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Every one of his posts is mindless leftist drivel with little if any intelligence behind it.

hence my assumption ... lol ... his post actually made sense. Turnbull has pretty much said it's the status quo for the time being.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Well I cast my vote today.

Word is that the libs have Canning in the bag (no surprise there)

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Yes...it's a battle of the sitcoms.

going head to head with....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Turnbull's Cabinet. Some real changes in key positions, particularly Treasurer. More women including a female Defence Minister and female Minister for Women. Haven't heard of anything about Science which Abbott was heavily criticized over.

Comments about how well this new leader and Cabinet will perform?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Comments about how well this new leader and Cabinet will perform?

I think most people would prefer to let them prove themselves rather than pull the old crystal ball out.

They'd be pushing pretty hard to do worse though. Getting someone dedicated to the women's portfolio is smart though and bringing science back would be a huge win.