Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
To quote the hypocrite,

...you mean like every other person who earns a wage?

Entitled little ******. Makes you wonder what sort of deal he had with Air NZ and what other costs they covered over and above his Salary?
Hopefully he won't ever live this down. Sad he had to listen to a talkback show to change his mind.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Better late than never.

The problem now is, he's going to operate like Key did, run a opinion pole before every decision and make sure his constituents are happy but never making the hard decisions that need to be made.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Same as everywhere now. No government fights on policy now, it’s all just hanging shite on the opposition to distract from themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...a-police-clearing-detainee-of-assault-charges

Ignore the theatre but it appears fundamental differences in taxation policy.

Here is an idea. How many members do we have on this forum? As a collective and including anyone each member can reach out to on other social forums etc, why don't we black-ban the duopolies such as Woolworths and Coles, along with their petrol stations and any other associated businesses they have?
This, of course, would have to be a coordinated effort involving people who are passionate about the way our society is being ripped off left, right, and centre due to the monopoly these businesses have in the retail sector.
People more savvy than me when it comes to all things social media etc, would need to be brought together to outline a plan to coordinate a mass alternating refrain from shopping at these businesses.

There is an argument I have heard from a couple of economists and people close to the industry that the duopoly, as unpalatable that it is, manages to keep prices down, even though they do line their own pockets along the way.

Reason being is they more or less dictate terms to the food supply chain relentlessly pushing prices (they pay) down. We often hear the pitiful amounts farmers get which often rightfully get some sympathy but also remember there are times that the farmers make bank bigtime at well. This price pressure also follows on to the big food manufacturers who put simply need Woolworths/Coles business (and often both of them) to be viable.

If we broke up the big 2 then the pendulum will swing the other way with the suppliers having the pricing power. Sure retailer margins may go down although I doubt it'd be all that much. I think I read somewhere that WOW net margin went from 5.3% to 6% recently which means although their input prices have gone up, they have also added a bit for themselves at the retail cash registers. The problem is I just can't see how any business aside from banks (they are an entirely different proposition) that that can (or will) even bother trying to do it for less on what will be an arguably higher cost base.

What does spinning them off actually give us? Satisfaction we broke up the duopoly. Yes. Lower margins by the supermarkets? Probably not - same same at best. Lower overall cost? Nearly certainly not.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
When you think about it, what this has shown is that our new PM is completely out of touch with how the average NZer lives.

That $52000 subsidy is the same as a persons income who's not quite on the medium wage and because the government is trying to save money everywhere, effectively for the government to pay that subsidy to Luxon a public servant would have had to loose their job.

Completely out of touch with reality!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Ignore the theatre but it appears fundamental differences in taxation policy.

There is an argument I have heard from a couple of economists and people close to the industry that the duopoly, as unpalatable that it is, manages to keep prices down, even though they do line their own pockets along the way.

Reason being is they more or less dictate terms to the food supply chain relentlessly pushing prices (they pay) down. We often hear the pitiful amounts farmers get which often rightfully get some sympathy but also remember there are times that the farmers make bank bigtime at well. This price pressure also follows on to the big food manufacturers who put simply need Woolworths/Coles business (and often both of them) to be viable.

If we broke up the big 2 then the pendulum will swing the other way with the suppliers having the pricing power. Sure retailer margins may go down although I doubt it'd be all that much. I think I read somewhere that WOW net margin went from 5.3% to 6% recently which means although their input prices have gone up, they have also added a bit for themselves at the retail cash registers. The problem is I just can't see how any business aside from banks (they are an entirely different proposition) that that can (or will) even bother trying to do it for less on what will be an arguably higher cost base.

What does spinning them off actually give us? Satisfaction we broke up the duopoly. Yes. Lower margins by the supermarkets? Probably not - same same at best. Lower overall cost? Nearly certainly not.
Point taken.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
When you think about it, what this has shown is that our new PM is completely out of touch with how the average NZer lives.

That $52000 subsidy is the same as a persons income who's not quite on the medium wage and because the government is trying to save money everywhere, effectively for the government to pay that subsidy to Luxon a public servant would have had to loose their job.

Completely out of touch with reality!

I would say that the majority of politicians are out of touch with the average person

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
(It was the Mexican Army)

Nope, civillians - it states "migrants" right there in the header of the video you posted. Duh!
You are as delusional as the orange grifter, who is hemorrhaging money and stressing out over the half a billion dollars plus in bonds he must provide to courts very very soon or start facing foreclosure of properties.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
At a recent political rally where his wife showed up he called her the wrong name (Mercedes). If he can't even remember his wife's name I'd say he's further along the senile route than the other old fool from the other party.

It's a tragic turn off events when the main point of contention between the 2 contenders is their cognitive function instead of policy.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
Screenshot_2024-03-02-11-18-18-009.jpg

"It's like hoping for a shower knowing it's a gas chamber."