Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try blocking one of those for a while and see what happens. People are fickle and soon move on where as the big companies hurt when they loose revenue.

X/Musk is hurting which is why he tried on that frivolous lawsuit and got it thrown out.

So which will fail first Truth or X?

BTW, has anyone checked the share price on Truth lately? It's about half of what it was after the opening day, how many billions lost is that?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No wonder this generation will never be able to afford a house!

Things I did to afford my first house:

1/ 40 hours was a short work week
2/ Limited my going 'out' spending bigtime
3/ Yep - was crazy tired a lot of the time
4/ Ate a lot of crap but in fairness that was a me thing - it's not a job thing and I'd argue same now
5/ Holidays were always of the short and cheap variety.

On the plus side - at least I'll have somebody to rent my investment properties to well into the future :D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it's not that simple though.
Say a company wants to advertise on X, well if X is based in the US and the advertiser is based in Ireland, now lets say the advertiser transfers that money from Ireland to the US, but the advertising is aimed globally or in the western countries. How would that have anything to do with Australia, apart from end users seeing the add on their computers.
There was no money or operations taken on Australian land, so Australian law shouldn't have any reach on these matters.

There were operations in Australia - said add was displayed and 'consumed' by the end user here. Further, nearly every one of these advertisers will have a presence in Australia otherwise it's unlikely we would see said adds other than in error

I think that the tech companies know that they have the upper hand against Australia, which is why they keep on operating.
Can you imagine the Australian government locking out Facebook, YT, X and Instagram ect, gee they're having enough backlash over tiktok, it would spell their death warrant at the next election.
Geo blocking works good if your name is Vlad, Xi or Kim, you don't really have to worry about voter backlash in those countries.

It happens now. There is a fairly exhaustive list of websites already blocked by Australian ISP's via legislation/regulation. Yes it's easy to get around via VPN or other means if you are determined but those numbers are very much in the minority compared to the overall population.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

[/URL]

4/ Ate a lot of crap but in fairness that was a me thing - it's not a job thing and I'd argue same now

On the plus side - at least I'll have somebody to rent my investment properties to well into the future :D

Talk about an idiot....The woman in the article.....

I want everything but don't want to put in the hard yards....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There were operations in Australia - said add was displayed and 'consumed' by the end user here. Further, nearly every one of these advertisers will have a presence in Australia otherwise it's unlikely we would see said adds other than in error

It happens now. There is a fairly exhaustive list of websites already blocked by Australian ISP's via legislation/regulation. Yes it's easy to get around via VPN or other means if you are determined but those numbers are very much in the minority compared to the overall population.

Yes but I don't know of any blocked sites, and most people don't, but you know how many people will get the shits when 'ma favourite app' disappears.
Facebook just said recently they will stop paying newspapers any money at all, so they have the choice of leaving facebook or not getting any money from facebook and staying, I think I know which option they took.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

[/URL][/URL]

No this generation will never be able to afford a house because the speculation on home buying is causing a price surge.
let's say you earn $1000 a week in hand, $400 go's to rent, $100 to fuel, $200 to food, $100 to power, phone, gas, water, broadband ect.
So you can save $200 at best, now you need 10% for a loan these days, say you buy a 600k house, near impossible.
That would take you 6 years at very best, this doesn't take into account any car repairs, any doctors bills, new clothing, new furniture.
You also have to think Reaper, not all people in your situation are successful either, so there is an element of risk buying real estate, for someone that struggles to save for 6-10 years to get a deposit, well it's then more money and a big risk if they can't afford the repayments.
But that also only is true if the house prices keep rising, they might fall?

That girl, oh man.
Traveling for a year, what she really meant was that she spent a year going to other countries getting pumped by Chad, Tyrone and Enrique.
Now she's back in Australia, she's spent many sleepless nights trawling Tinder and Hinge trying to find a man that is 6' plus tall makes $150k and is ripped, but alas she struggles to find such a man, as they are .1% of the population.
So she tries to find a man outside of the top .1% so she looks at the top 1%, then she can't work out why they ghost her after the first bed time fun.
Princess doesn't want to work full time because she is empowered! stunning! brave!, then reality hits and she needs some money for the iphone 39 with 5 cameras instead of 4.
Then Princess learns that some girls make lots of money on Noonecares.com. showing them doing the sideways boogie, so princess opens an account, makes $5 and wonders what she is doing with her life.
Solution, I will buy a cat.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes but I don't know of any blocked sites, and most people don't, but you know how many people will get the shits when 'ma favourite app' disappears.

Facebook just said recently they will stop paying newspapers any money at all, so they have the choice of leaving facebook or not getting any money from facebook and staying, I think I know which option they took.

FB and Google tried this a few years ago and then caved within days. Will be interesting to see what the outcome this time around is.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

[/URL]

She admits that she has chronic medical issues (but obviously not enough to inhibit travel), and that she is privileged enough not to need to work full time. She has basically stated that it her lifestyle decision not to work full time.

I’m not sure that it is representative of ‘this generation’ or if it’s just another News Corp article to propagate the idea that ‘this generation’ only have themselves to blame (for whatever)?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
She admits that she has chronic medical issues (but obviously not enough to inhibit travel), and that she is privileged enough not to need to work full time. She has basically stated that it her lifestyle decision not to work full time.

I’m not sure that it is representative of ‘this generation’ or if it’s just another News Corp article to propagate the idea that ‘this generation’ only have themselves to blame (for whatever)?

Chronic illness, I would be interested to see what that is. Depression or endometriosis or something like that.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Actually yes. They are happy to operate in a given country with a view to gaining an income then I don't see a problem with them adhering to local laws. If they don't see value in that market then of course the tech to geofence it is not hard.

Of course there are plenty of ways to get around that with vpn's etc but for most of the population they either don't care or are incapable of such things.

It's no difference to a car maker wanting to sell to a particular market - either they make the car comply with local regs or they don't sell it. Then it becomes a question for the local law makers to balance whatever they deem necessary vs the potential of locking out potential services/items their population wants/needs.
While I understand the sentiment the fluidity of the internet is a bit different than making a car comply with a set of fixed standards.