Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just a few things

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
In transition from a Magna to a VN S pac
I was reading a previous thread about fuel economy, and I'm also curious as to how to bump it up. I am currently getting around 7-9km's to a L of fuel. :unsure: I know it can do better. I regularly service the car myself. Is it in need of a tune up? It's a stock 3.8 EFI V6. Actually, the entire car is stock. One previous owner, full service history, I bought it at 91,011km last January, has now done 114,000km.

When lightly accelerating, I hear a tinging-type noise coming from under the car. I suspect this is the baffler on it's way out. Any ideas?

There is also a bumping noise coming from the left hand front wheel. As yet I haven't put it over the pits for a complete inspection, and going through my workshop manual, it says it may be the hub. After comparing both front hubs, there is no difference. The suspension and wishbone mounts are fine also. The tires are not loose of course. :D Is this a common problem with you guys, or should I have it checked out?

Headlights: can I use 110/65 or equivelant bulbs in the standard housings and on a standard wiring loom? Will this do any damage to the electrical system, or more importantly, will it put strain on the computer? << That's probably a redundant question, but I would just like to make sure. :)

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Hi, a common fault on the VS's are the front sway bar linkages coming loose or snapping also check that the bolts that hold your front brake calipers are secure. I had both these problems when I had my VS.

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
Sway bar.. now I'm not the most mechanically - literate person here, but is that also known as the stabilizer bar or control arm?

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Yes, stabiliser bar. Good luck.

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
Cheers! Anyone else be able to help with other problems?

I

IBBO

sawy bar u say?

hi holden has just told me today my sway bar has a crack in it. now what i was wondering was if anyone knew of a good place where i could buy say an ss or hsv sway bar to get them to put in for better handling and less bouncy castle-like body roll. if anyone knows of somewhere could they let me know? it would be very much appreciated. ok thanks guys
catcha- ibbo :)

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
u sure it actually has a crack or are they just tellin u that?. I had a similar problem with my stabiliser bar, when cornering i could hear this knock but all it was jus the bushes where the sway bar connects to the front struts and this was allowing some play between the nut and the sway bar. Check this out and c if its the problem before u go gettin urself a new sway bar. But yeh if you can find the crack yourself go and grab a new one strait away.

Cheers

Jon Z

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
I must have bought a lemon...

Reason is as follows: I now have electrical problems! Sheesh! Leave the car overnight and the battery goes dead. After being off for say, 3 hours, it starts fine. Try to start it after a long drive when it's warm, like after refuelling, no go. But if I jump start it from another car (Also needs to be running and revving hard to achieve needed power) it will start.

It is not the battery at fault - The battery tests ok and works without a problem in another car.

Possible causes I have come to think of:
- Faulty starter motor, IE bearings etc worn, thus drawing too much power to crank when hot, resulting in a drained battery;
- Alternator / Starter motor diode's dodgy, meaning a short circuit, but this does't explain why a) alternator charges; and/or b) starter works when cold and not hot.

Any hints? The auto electricians won't even lok at it until I give them like $130 for a new battery. BTW Battery is a 470 RC (?). Perhaps I need to go a bit higher...

>anarky

F

finarfin

In my experience Batteries in cars just tend to die totally usually without much warning. To be obvious, boot light isnt on is it? the switch can stuff up. There is some thing like a light or accessory drawing current when the ignition is off.
I assume you cant even get the engine to crank when its hot, starter relay ?

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
Ive found that the problem may be a dicky injector. Flooding a chamber when warm and making it hard to crank. Hard to believe isnt it? Well, I'll take it in to get looked at by a mechanic. At least then I will know exactly whats happening.

>anarky