Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just flushed coolant in VP, quick help!!!

jonnydico

Reaction score
just did complete coolant flush of V6 VP (like in the how too section). added 4L to the rad, started car, added about 1L to rad again waited for thermostat to come on. When it did, the rad started to overflow so I put the cap on it. Proceeded to bleed when fan shut off via the thermo bleed screw. Waited 2hrs for cooldown then checked rad level and it was full. Should the car not have wanted more than 5L?????? also, when thermo is open, the heater hose is still compressible, any ideas???? thanks

jonnydico

Reaction score
just thought maybe when I flushed the block the water must have stayed in there, bout 3L? is this the extra volume.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
mate if you want to get all the air out you take the overflow cap of and stick the tube inside the end of your garden hose. Turn the hose on slowly and then crack of the bleeder valce on the thermo stat housing. When a full stream of fluid comes out do up the valve and you are all ready to roll.
this can also be done with a large coke bottle.

jonnydico

Reaction score
thanks mate, ive got a full stream of fluid comming out the bleeder screw, is it possible that there is an airlock in the block? will extra air eventually make its way out if i keep bleeding?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
that is the way to do it.
just to be sure after a drive when the system is presurized you can open the valve a little just to get that last little bit out.