Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&n air filter

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
A ''High flow" filter is all very well and good when its dry (Which is how they demonstrate in that plastic case). When you cover it in the oil crap it must cause a huge restriction. Problem is they are high flow because more air can get through them faster. That means more crap can pass through it without using the oil. Gimmick. Stick with the paper ones.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
A ''High flow" filter is all very well and good when its dry (Which is how they demonstrate in that plastic case). When you cover it in the oil crap it must cause a huge restriction. Problem is they are high flow because more air can get through them faster. That means more crap can pass through it without using the oil. Gimmick. Stick with the paper ones.

What do you use??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Do you really have to ask him that after what he just said? I'd be putting my money on a paper filter buddy.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So what you are saying is there's absolutely no benefits whatsoever in using a high flow air filter??

hmmm

Yeah, There was no noticable difference in power between the K&N and a brand new paper filter.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I use one in the Hilux. End of every 4WD trip i take it out, wash it and put it back in. Saves me the $$ of buying a new element. Plus i got a cool sticker for my toolbox! :p

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Do you really have to ask him that after what he just said? I'd be putting my money on a paper filter buddy.

Point taken LOL

So you fellas reckon in all honesty, go RYCO???

I have a Lukey cat back no rear resonator and was wanting to improve air flow through the system, it's a V6 VX. Just took out my KN which last time I believe I over oiled, cleaned up the mess didn't hurt maf sensor one bit, clean as a whistle! But wanting to change filter, been looking at BMC, AFE & LUKEY

Any recommendations? Or still standard filter??

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
Yes Brett_jjj i am with you i found that i was using more fuel with the K&N i now use the standard paper one again ...:surprise:

jakstas

Auto Elec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 M6
If you think you can tell the difference in horse power from installing your k& n filter, then you need to either see a proctologist or a psychiatrist.

On a standard untuned in modded vehicle it will make three fifths of #### all of a difference.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
I guess that answers my question from all above. Everyone agrees std is the way to go, now STD GMH or RYCO?

I also noticed that I have been using more fuel with KN at least I think it has as I bought the car with one fitted already. But my car tells me I burn around 13.4-15.4 per 100k it seems to bounce around these parameters

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa

No i'll be nice and answer.

I dont use air filters lol.

Although thats not entirely true. I have a K&N on my Hayabusa but thats only because it was there when i bought it lol. And no its not oiled, i run fine mesh in the ram air intakes.