Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

k&n filter

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
i was just looking on the k&n website and read a little about the K&N intake kits. are they as good as they say they are an about how much are they

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The K&N filter is really a race filter, horsepower is it's major aim in life, not saving your engine from dust, I only use mine when I want to run a fast time, never for normal driving around and I never would unless I lived inside an almost dust free city. It's not very effective at filtering dust, A paper one will be better for your conditions, just blow it out with an air compressor once in a while, blowing from the engine side out. Also an oiled foam filter will stop your dust best of all, but it will need cleaning ALOT if you live in a dusty place because all the dust sticks to them

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hrmm, $99 eyy? Autobarn, tho c ockheads want to charge $129 for my VS, VPW charge $110, who would sell them for $99 in VIC?

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Go the K&N or any other reusable type panel filter. There are other brands available eg Redline, that are half the price. They would filter the finer bull dust way better than the standard air filter from Holdens.
Buy the K&N oil recharge kit and clean frequently!

S

STS_1

I HAVE A VS SII AND CIA AND K&N HAVE A SUPRISING DIFF WENT FROM 18.5 QUARTER TO 17flat on stock car!! some more mods now SO HAPPY RACING ;)

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
tom, i have a SS Inductions CAI with a K&N in the berlina, it works sweet, just clean off the filter every six weeks or so. considering we live in the same area, it should suit you aswell

http://www.ssinductions.com.au/vnvsv6.htm

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Tom04 said:
i was just looking on the k&n website and read a little about the K&N intake kits. are they as good as they say they are an about how much are they

i dont think k&n make those kits for v6's (plus they are illegal for street use)...
it was possibly a kit for an LS1 which you saw.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
My first K&N filter was put on a MX bike doing short circuit racing, so as for dust, mud, rocks, water, other bikes and nearly anything was tossed at a totally exposed filter with no problems, clean it after the days racing and your good to go next week, once a month a new piston and rings, little end bearing and pin, then your good to go, no problems just trophies.

But in those days it was just normal to use a K&N filter, clean it in either lawn mower fuel or excess racing premix poured from the inside then soaked in any container around and all was good to go, no big deal, that was just the normal G O.

But that was only ridden on sundays by a total lunatic with a death wish and at full throttle most of the time, plus add the odd tune up down the street when no one was watching during the week, all was cool.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i was told that when u put an aftermarket oiled filter into a V6 all the oil gets sucked on to the crank angel sensor (or what ever that lil sensor is next to the air box) and after 50,000 kms it will make it go hey wire and make your car run to lean or rich. but hey, word from mouth is chinese wispers. anyone had this problem or heard of it?

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
Jecs said:
i was told that when u put an aftermarket oiled filter into a V6 all the oil gets sucked on to the crank angel sensor (or what ever that lil sensor is next to the air box) and after 50,000 kms it will make it go hey wire and make your car run to lean or rich. but hey, word from mouth is chinese wispers. anyone had this problem or heard of it?

I was waiting for someone to wake up.
I have a K&N on the Skyline (it came with the car) and it's useless on my dirt road so I use a paper one for local driving.
The K&N oil treatment also leaves a residue on the airflow meter element so that's even more dramas to regularly service.
In short not worth it for general servicability but does give ever so slightly more air flow than a stock paper element.
Unless you're right up at the limit of your AFM which I doubt, I'd give it a big miss.