Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N panel filter on SS

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Can't say i noticed any performance difference after installing the walkinshaw cai pod. Only the improvement in sound, which was the reason i got it in the first place.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I had one in my ute before installing the OTR....Barely notice any difference in performance but it did make me feel good to have one installed. "Ron" if you are in Canberra for a visit, you can pick it up for free as I no longer need it now. Just PM me in advance.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Stick to paper as there isn't much difference even if K&N would like you to believe otherwise.

Having to clean and oil a filter is a pain and it may be an acceptable trade off when it's all you can get for your over the radiator intake but why put yourself through that for no real gain.

If you live in an unbelievably dusty area then reusables can be a good idea but in those cases there are better options than K&N.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I had one in my ute before installing the OTR....Barely notice any difference in performance but it did make me feel good to have one installed. "Ron" if you are in Canberra for a visit, you can pick it up for free as I no longer need it now. Just PM me in advance.

How would you compare the OTR to the Walkinshaw CAI? Performance? Induction noise? Air intake temps?

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
How would you compare the OTR to the Walkinshaw CAI? Performance? Induction noise? Air intake temps?

I couldn't honest compare my VCM OTR to the Walkinshow CAI as I know nothing of Walkinshow's CAI. I have had the whole package done with VCM 532 camshaft, X force 1 7/8" header and 3" dual exhaust system with Varex rear muflers. I have it tunned for low/mid range torque for acceleration and overtaking rather than top end power. Can't notice much noise from the OTR as the exhaust noise is quite over powering. (I left the Varex box open at all time) As to air intake temperature, I wouldn't know really but don't think it matters much with the rest of modifications. As I were saying, the modest 307 rwkw (the workshop told me that they could get more with different tune set up) is more than I ever need in my daily driving, I just love the exhaust sound track more than the actual power. I used to have a Ford Falcon Turbo ute with CAI, took it off a week after installation, just didn't like the "whoosh" noise came through the air vents into the cabin.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I ve got a walkinshaw cai pod on the VF SS and my VE SS an OTR.
Performance wise i can't compare as the VE is tuned. The VF isn't. But i can't say i noticed any increase in performance with the pod being installed.
They both sound the same as far as volume of induction noise goes. Only difference is the OTR sound better to me because the sound comes from the centre and not off to the side like with the pod.
I have no idea on the temps.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just put the panel replacement one in. As expected no noticeable difference. Only 70 bucks so who cares ;)

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Just put the panel replacement one in. As expected no noticeable difference. Only 70 bucks so who cares ;)

I can see why people would have different points of view on whether re-usable air filters are worth it or not....each to their own

In regards to re-usable air filters in general:
If you look at it from an ongoing maintenance cost point of view they are good value:
K&N filter for around $70
K&N filter service kit for $15 to $25
Ryco A1557 for VE & VF range in price from $35 to $50

So depending on what a paper air filter costs you, after you have serviced your re-usable air filter 2 to 3 times it has paid for itself.
The only minimal cost in the future is for the filter service kit, and these kits last quite a few filter services if you don't go overboard with the use of the oil or cleaning fluid.

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
R

Ron,
Do you remember noticing any change to throttle response after dropping the k&n panel filter in the standard air box?

And to anyone who’s used these for 10,000+kms in a VF, have you checked your throttle body for cleanliness?

I had an oiled k&n in a Hilux once and a dry gauze filter in a motorbike... dust accumulation noticeable in both cases after about 20,000km. They might flow marginally better, but don’t seem to filter as well as OEM paper.

Last edited: