Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kenwood any good?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
What are your future plans for the stereo?
Better to buy a unit now that will last you a while than to have to upgrade everytime you want to change anything

m3rcy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Well i want a half decent system, i atleast want 2 front, 2 rear and 1 sub etc you know but a system that will actually sound alright and wont distort.

and if someone could explain or show me a link to what all this 'audio' talk is, ohm, bridge etc etc

cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well the KDC-139 will be able to run 4 speakers (off the head-unit) and a sub (through an amp) without a problem.
It depends on whether you want an amp to run the speakers or not.

It also depends on how much you want to spend on a system, its good practice to buy a head-unit that can accommodate any upgrades you may want to do in the future (like an amp to run the speakers).

Have a look at this thread if you havent already :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well i want a half decent system, i atleast want 2 front, 2 rear and 1 sub etc you know but a system that will actually sound alright and wont distort.

and if someone could explain or show me a link to what all this 'audio' talk is, ohm, bridge etc etc

cheers

The term "ohm" is a unit used to measure resistance levels through out an electrical system.
Both speakers, and amplifiers, have their own impedance levels.When you select audio components, it is important that you match the impedance levels correctly, such as when matching speakers, and subwoofers, to amplifiers.

The lower the impedance level, the less resistance.With less resistance, amplifiers are able to generate higher amounts of power.Full range speakers, such as coaxials, component splits, ect, are all that i know of, 4 ohm.Subwoofer's, can vary.This is due to many subwoofers having more than one voice coil.If you see it abreviated such as "SVC"or "DVC" this mean the the subwoofer is a single, or dual voice coil.The impedance levels of the coil typically vary from 2 ohm, to 4 ohm.Manafactuers make subwoofers available at different impedance levels to allow it to be wired in a configuration so that it be suitable an amplifiers own impedance levels.There is more to it, such how you can wire a component/s to vary these levels, and so forth, but i won't go into it as it can be hard to explain it to some one, especially in text.

Bridging, is when the channels of an amplifier are wired together, to form a single channel.For e.g, you can wire 2 channels together to form 1 channel.Or 4 channels combined to form 2 channels, and so forth.A common use for this, is bridging 2 channels together, to power a subwoofer.Each channel represents a single output, so if you have 2 channels, you can drive 2 speakers, it is possible to drive more than one speaker from a single channel, however it isn't a very common practice in entry level setups.Another common practice is to "bridge" the channels of a 4 channel amplifier, into 2 channels, to provide more power to a set of speakers, such as the front speakers.

It can be very difficult to explain things like this using text in a forum ect, without ranting on too much, but hopefully it helped somewhat.If there is anything you didn't understand out of that, or require more info on, let me know and either myself or another member can help you out..

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Ohm is a measure of impedance. In the AC world (such as when looking at an audio signal) impedance can be thought of as not only resistance but also capacitance and inductance as well.

m3rcy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Well the KDC-139 will be able to run 4 speakers (off the head-unit) and a sub (through an amp) without a problem.
It depends on whether you want an amp to run the speakers or not.

It also depends on how much you want to spend on a system, its good practice to buy a head-unit that can accommodate any upgrades you may want to do in the future (like an amp to run the speakers).

Have a look at this thread if you havent already :)

Okay sweet, what if i did want to add an amp to run the speakers/sub later on, would it be a good idea to spend a little more $ and get a better head deck?
I had a look on that site and found out the KDC-139 is non-mp3 ha so would the KDC-MP239 be alright for the extra and what it costs?

Thanks for the explanation too :) it makes more sense then it did but there's still more learning i guess :idea: Does that mean you can run 2 speakers off of one channel? just as long as the amp has enough power to do so?

CHeers

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I used to have a Kenwood unit very similar to that, but it did MP3/WMA too. It probably won't blow your socks off, but it's a decent enough little unit and a good upgrade over over the factory deck. Suggest getting the MP3 version though, it can't cost much more, to be honest I'm surprised it's not standard these days.