Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key Access Problem

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
My VX II Equipe is my 2nd car. Had a strange electrical problem yesterday.

My key would not unlock the car !

Tried my wife’s key, and same problem.

Both keys would not unlock the boot either.

I unlocked the drivers door manually with the key and inserted the key in the ignition, and it started !

Got the car home quick and ever since, the key has locked and unlocked the car.

A one off event !

I am thinking of replacing the BCM module as a precaution, but it looks like a trip to a Holden dealer to code the 2 keys to the new module.

Has any forum member had a similar problem ?

I would appreciate any informed and ( similar experience ) comment that may help me and inform us all.

Cheers All

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Has happened to me on my current

Also happened to my Fords

Sometimes its like the BCM is in a loop and needs manual interaction to like clear it.
Is weird.

Also happened quite a few times on a shopping centre roof, assuming mobile cell towers close by and they were.

See how it pans out

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Happened once on my VX GTS (was in my normal spot in an underground car park) then never any more. Suggest you just monitor and take no further action until it happens again.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Found this in the factory service manual.
Don't know if it applies to the op but.....

OVERHEATING PREVENTION

In the event of multiple activations within a defined time period, the central door locking system will be deactivated

and remain inoperative for a defined time period to prevent the door actuators from overheating. After a fixed time

delay, the system will re-activate and operate as normal.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Gentlemen, thank you all for your replies.

I will take your advice, wait and watch for a while. It has not done it again, so at this stage, a 1 off event ( I hope ). Dropped into the local Holden dealer today and told the service advisor what happened and asked about coding keys to a new BCM ( if the problem got worse ). He said that they will not code the old keys and that I would need to get two new keys as well as a new BCM. He also was helpful when he stated that 9 out of 10 problems with VX Commodores that come in with this problem ended up being the Key / transmitter. He also made another suggestion that I should get another key and have it coded to the existing BCM. If it codes OK, then the current BCM is most likely OK.

GM3123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II 2000 V6 3.8L Wagon
I had a near identical problem a couple of years ago on my VT II. I got a family member to bring over a spare key and it worked fine and oddly after that, so did the other 2 that had initially failed! It's only happened 1 other time, but cleared up quickly the second time. An RACV guy told me something similar to what Nut Kracker advised, basically do nothing for 30 min and it will probably come good.
The Lithium battery can get a bit sad after a while, but they can be changed if you are handy with a soldering iron (at least I know the VS and VT ones can) and are only a few $ from somewhere like E14 or RS. If the button rubbers are worn, they can be had on ebay for a few $ also.