Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'KM's left until empty' accuracy?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
ok someone said if you let it run empty you get all the sludge and crap going through your engine... this to me doesn't make sence, im pretty sure the fuel going into your rail comes from the bottom of the tank i don't see why it would come from the top or midway but common sence tells me that it sucks from the bottom of the tank, common sence also tells me that it will always suck in crap no matter how full or empty your tank is.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
My VTss reported I had 50KM left and I then filled my 75L tank to the top and it took like 49L so there was a good 16L left.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
mine also flactuates alot, i park in the driveway sometimes on a slant and it will say i have more then when i just moved off the road.

i get about 350-400 k from a tank after i fill up at the bowser, but i can only get my trip computerr upto 270 or so before it starts going bonko on the numbers, im so depressed, i love my car and i dont mind the petrol but i was hoping to get maybe 500 to a tank

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
To all you people who run their tanks on empty..

Our servo ran out of petrol last Tuesday, excess demand caused by news of the burst pipeline. We ran out of all Unleaded and Premium fuels. Half the idiots wanting to fill up had 0 petrol left.

We had people parking their cars outside the servo, waiting for a fuel tanker to arrive (it didn't arrive that night), because they thought they didn't have enough fuel to get themselves home..

I was amazed at just how many people run with empty tanks.. I would never let the fuel light come on, unless I had a jerry in the back..

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
i drove 23k's with 0k's to empty the other day... still Drove fine... got the Servo.. adn co0uld only Squeeze in 69 Litres:ranting:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
heeno said:
ok someone said if you let it run empty you get all the sludge and crap going through your engine... this to me doesn't make sence, im pretty sure the fuel going into your rail comes from the bottom of the tank i don't see why it would come from the top or midway but common sence tells me that it sucks from the bottom of the tank, common sence also tells me that it will always suck in crap no matter how full or empty your tank is.
the crap and rubbish flotes on the fuel,
when low it gets drawn up by the pump
2. the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, low fuel level overheats the pump

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
run it low too many times and ask around how much it will cost to replace your fuel pump when it shitts itself.Not happy jan.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
ciaranvt said:
bit of a prob with your theory bro. I fill the living crap out of my tank. really really really fill it! It doesnt drop below full for nearly 100ks of CITY driving. When I use the digital fuel readout it doesnt move from 75litres until the fuel guage begins to move.

so the theory of that it calculates fuel delivered thru the injectors goes against your theory..

do VTS tell u how many litres you have? i didn't know thAT, where can i check? lol im serious

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
lpassociation said:
do VTS tell u how many litres you have? i didn't know thAT, where can i check? lol im serious
i think its 1 of the functions where u hold down menu and set (or wotever the buttons are) while u start the car, then u have another menu that includes that i think

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
1 of my friends parents has a vx acclaim s2, they have gas aswell so they ran it right out and it went 30 k's past empty on the highway, flick it on gas and kept going

about when i fill up my tank, it just gets filled up tuesdays coz then its cheapest, or if i dont have enough 2 last til tues, i just fill enough 2 get me there (easily) then fill up again tuesday