Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

knocking sound from under car when taking off any ideas what it is?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
ive had this issue for a while now since i gave it a bit and blew my tranny i replaced the trans but it has a knocking sound only when taking off i thought it was the exhaust hitting the floor but it dosent as i just checked it when i had it on a hoist getting a rear muffler cut in,could it be a tailshaft centre bearing or cv joint as i replaced the tailshaft only to have the same noise (maybe i got a secondhand one with the same issue)or could it be something like a trans mount im at a loss to find this maybe someone here will know if it is a common problem as my mates 5 ltr vh had the same noise too but he never found out what it was any ideas?

Redy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK executive
i had a similar sound and found out it was my universals gone, the housing was actually cracked =\ lol

bjwynd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl
could be the diff berings

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
I would still check the centre bearing out . The rubber gets all soft and crappy and will knock on take off . Mine makes a little knock on take off so i'll replace it later on sometime .

bjwynd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl
i had the center rubber go on me once and i could feel it through the car really badly

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
thanks for the replies ill have to check for marks on the panhard rod or exhaust near it as i didnt think of that,my unis are new so thats unlikely and i think ill just replace the centre bearing and cv in the tailshaft as it wouldnt hurt to have new ones anyway,i dont know about my barge squatting youve seen it ari its a 202 it aint got the balls to squat.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yep the green machine ,its been tidyed up a bit since then though decided not to just let it get run down.