Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kumho KU22 vs KU27

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Hi All,

Time has come to replace my rear Potenza's on the VE.
I've done my research, and would go based on what I've read here, and stick with Kumho.

The front 2 are currently Ecsta LX ku27.
I've rang my local shop/s, and they're $70 pricier than the ku 22's.
Normally I'd go with the 27's, but seeing how I'll be selling her soon, dont see the point in spending that much.

Does anyone have experience with either, and as such make a recommendation?
Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
S

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Been running the KU 22 for 18 months now, with no complaints....The KU27 is an older pattern when compared to the KU22

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I've got KU27s on the rear and KU22s on the front. Neither are as good in the wet as the original Potenzas.
I got 30K on the rear and 45K on the front from the Potenzas.
The KU27s have 40K on them now and I'll probably get another 10-15K
The KU22s have 25K on them and will get another 30-40K on the front.
But they will go on the back when the KU27s are done and something grippier in the wet will take their place.
They may get better life, but I prefer to be able to point the car where I want when it's raining.

If your selling, the KU22s will do.

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Thanks Lads.

Many more people elsewhere have said Kumho's aren't that good in wet weather.
I've been running with 27's in the front, and am yet to see slippage... maybe it's my grandma like driving

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'm a pretty big fan of kumho's. I had kh17's and they're the best tyre for the wet that I've come across. However, they wear relatively quickly

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Thanks Lads.

Many more people elsewhere have said Kumho's aren't that good in wet weather.
I've been running with 27's in the front, and am yet to see slippage... maybe it's my grandma like driving

The Kumhos are a good tyre, and overall I'm happy with them for what I paid, it's just that they aren't as good as the Potenzas in the wet, and you just have to be a bit gentler with the throttle when its raining.
I will say that the ESC does an awesome job of arresting a slide in the wet, car just vibrates and stops mid slide.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm a pretty big fan of kumho's. I had kh17's and they're the best tyre for the wet that I've come across. However, they wear relatively quickly

Memory serves me right, the KH 17 sizing goes upto 225/60X16, so providing the OP has 16" wheels on the VE, they'll be fine.

The KU27 doesn't appear to be a real good wet weather tyre, especially when compared to the KU22.....If they want something comparable to the Potenzas, the KU 39, KU36 (crud mileage, but stick to the road like a wet blanket) or possibly the PS91 would be suitable, if they wanted to go the Kumho route.