Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 + LSD Towing Caravan around Australia

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
Does your vt have a factory trans cooler ? It would be one thing I would invest in before going on your trip towing a caravan or trailer
Definately get the whole trans serviced and cooler added and if it has factory one get a bigger one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Did i miss something how the hell are you going to get 10l per 100kms towing a trailer with a car packed that full you can't even fit a diff in..??????

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
Did i miss something how the hell are you going to get 10l per 100kms towing a trailer with a car packed that full you can't even fit a diff in..??????

Yeah I'm probably not. That's why I figured the price of petrol to be much higher than it actually is (haven't paid $2.30/litre since I was in Europe!). I've done a few highway drives with the car and I can get around 8l/100kms with just me and the missus in the car (and that's driving fairly enthusiastically). If I add the weight of 2 mates + the drag of the trailer then that will bump it up a bit but any difference in actual fuel economy is taken up by the overpricing of the fuel costs (if that makes any sense at all...)

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
Definately get the whole trans serviced and cooler added and if it has factory one get a bigger one

Totally keen on that idea. I just did a search and I'm guessing this is a fairly common issue with commodores, especially when towing. I'll definitely be popping into Repco/Auto1/SuperCheap asap to get one and have it installed!

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Mate,I also don't know if you're going to average 10km per litre towing a van.I know that this isn't what your thread is really about but if you manage 6km/l you should be thrilled.I've done extensive towing,including Brisbane to Darwin each year with a big tinnie, 2 adults and bugger all in the car and have never done better than around 6km/l.That was twice with a supercharged S and 8 times with a stock V6 Exec.That aside.I agree with everyone else that the LSD is a good way to go cos I can't believe that they haven't been stock in all rwd cars for the past 20 years.Enjoy your trip.