Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L77 oil consumption issues

Alphamox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V Redline
Hello my fellow v8 owners,

I have a 2010 ve series 2 calais with the L77 v8 thats clocked 100,000km. Im currently having issues of oil consumption and go through a litre of oil every 6000km. In terms of modifications I have a full HM Headers exhaust, VCM otr and its maffed tuned. At first we thought the oil had been going into the intake, so I had the passenger rocker cover replaced (as my original one did not contain a deflector shield) and I installed a sealed catch can - at the same time I had spark plugs changed, ignition leads changed, water pump changed, radiator changed and harmonic balancer changed. These did not solve the issue.
So far I have had my car assessed by x2 reputable performance workshops and both havent found anything of concern. Dyno runs and leakdown tests show good performance all round. I even had one of them saying that my engine would have to be the most quietest L77 to date. He even added that he would be happy to claw more money off me and Dx further, but this would be bad for business. I also thought that maybe pinging due to the oil loss as when I ramp the throttle I can hear a metal click - but you guessed it, the dynos on both workshops showed no ping.
Oddly this issue started to occur after my switch to penrite hpr 10 from what the dealer was using after warranty expired, but I dont think this is the case. I even tried a different brand of oil, i.e. nulon full synthetic 5w30 and oddly it goes through the same rate as the hpr10 which is thicker. There are also no leaks and pre oil change I do an engine flush.

I was told the following options

1. Rebuild it. Not ideal and if the motor is showing good power, I must be missing something and hence my call out for help.

2. Get a low km, later year L77. Again, not ideal but will consider if exhaust all possibilities and solution to this problem.

3. Do the afm delete and cam it. This advice was given to me by another workshop as the LS3 valley plate that comes with the kit will reduce oil consumption due to the way its setup. In further note by the workshop, The DOD delete will change the way the pcv is setup and help combat oil consumption. To test his honesty , I did tell him Im happy to pay for a rebuild upfront (even though not my intention) and he said that there is no need as the engine idles and cranks, pressurizes fine when I do the 'hold accelerator down and turn the key' procedure.

If my observations are correct I estimate by the time I hit 10000km for service I would have gone through 1.5 litres of oil. This will be below the 'hash section' of the dip stick but not to the point of needing to refill oil as per what the manual shows, the 'add oil' hole is actually lower towards the bottom of the dipstick (which equates to 2 litres loss). Im happy to let it consume oil, but guaranteed that consumption will not worsen, that I wont fowl plugs, clog cats, carbon up my pistons and power will remain the same. At least Im not worse than some other manafacturers that see 1litre per 1000km as the norm

I was told that earler LS motors suffered oil consumption issues, but not so much the later LS motors

Please Help

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
you have use 11,000 litres of petrol and only 16.6 litres of oil.
Whats the problem again?

Alphamox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V Redline
My issue is that Im consuming oil on a newer gen v8 where it shouldnt. Its not even heard of as I tried to search on this forum and others in America as they have the pontiac g8. The only common issues that I read up on are the lifters...yet again this is not so much an issue with the l77 as they have the revised ac delco lifters

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I wouldn't go doing rebuilds or replacing the engine etc. Just accept that your car uses a bit more oil than most. If it's otherwise fine it would be crazy to undertake major work to fix a minor problem. Who knows you could rebuild or replace the engine and find the car is little or no better than it is now. I would just keep making sure it doesn't run low on oil and by all means try other oils and see if you find an improvement there. You said the problem seemed to start after not servicing by the dealer. Did you enquire as to what oil the dealer was using? Perhaps they use the Delco oil. Perhaps buy your oil from the dealer if they use a different oil to the oil you have been using. What distances do you normally travel? Some may do short trips every day and think they don't use oil because the oil used is replaced by contamination and the actual level looks to be much the same, on the other hand someone who does longer trips may burn off more of the contamination, so the oil consumption seems worse.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
With an oil consumption issue like that the last thing you want to do is use a 5W30 oil. Maybe try a different brand synthetic 10W40 or whatever is the thickest grade shown in your owners manual for the climate you live in.
You seem convinced the oil is being lost up the top end somewhere based on all the solutions you listed being around the intake and valley plate. Why is that?

I think you may be over serving your engine keeping it so clean it never builds up enough carbon to seal the rings! If this was my car I would keep the current oil in it until about 9000ks then change it to a 10w40 minimum good synthetic oil without doing an engine flush And keep that in there for a good while as well. Engine flushes were only invented to convince you to spend your money on your car You dont need to.
Its like taking laxatives just in case you get clogged up one day then wondering why your arse gets sore....