Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

labeled pic of 5L engine bay

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Hey guys correct me if I am wrong, but Gregory's don't do a 5 litre Commodores repair manual. I searched for one some time ago and ended up getting a Max Ellery's manual that covers both V6 and 5 litre engines as well as the usual body stuff.

Errrrrr stupid me :bang: self correction time. Obviously I didn't look beyond my nose.......

Holden Commodore/Statesman/Caprice 1989-93 Gregory's Part No. 258

Series VN, VG, VQ, VP. Vehicle Type -Sedan, Wagon, Utility. Engines - 5.0 litre (8 cyl). Trim Levels - Executive, S, SS, Berlina, Calais.

PaRaDoX

From the old days
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW N54 Twin Turbo
ive been pretty busy with my new job and havnt had much time, but as promised here we go, went into a little bit more detail

14102007834-2.jpg

Image037.jpg

Distributor.jpg

i used a picture of BenXCOP5L's engine pictures

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
cheers, i got everything there now! just gotta figure out how to put the belts on

the ribbed one goes onto the power steering and crank yes?
dunno bout the other 2

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
ive been pretty busy with my new job and havnt had much time, but as promised here we go, went into a little bit more detail

14102007834-2.jpg

Image037.jpg

Distributor.jpg

i used a picture of BenXCOP5L's engine pictures
Very well detailed Engine Bay there.Top effort what about rocker covers,heads,tps,timing cover,plugs,oil cap,over flow tank,washer tank,air box,fuel regulator,IAC,

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Very well detailed Engine Bay there.Top effort what about rocker covers,heads,tps,timing cover,plugs,oil cap,over flow tank,washer tank,air box,fuel regulator,IAC,

most of those are common knowledge and if you cant find them you shouldnt be near a 5 litre in the first place

PaRaDoX

From the old days
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW N54 Twin Turbo
theres alot to mention, ill add a throttle body pic after work tonight showing what the TPS/IAC look like and where they are... oil cap is a bit straight forward too, but somepeople might try and fill their dip stick which would be messy.. washer tank is closest to the firewall, and the coolant overflow is closest to the relay box, DO NOT FILL YOUR OVERFLOW TANK its a purge tank and thats it (unlike vn s1)

its hard to get a picture of the fuel pressure reg, but they'res some vac lines id like to point out.. at the back they'res a heater vent control vaccume line near the brake booster vac line, and they'res 2 vac lines that run thru the inlet manifold, they are map sensor/fuel pressure reg vac lines, to remove the dissy its a 9/16th bolt (or 14mm), to ajust undo it but not too much and turn the dissy

rocker covers/cyclinder heads dont require to be labeled because even a 18 year old girl with a EXCEL can find them

belts is a good question

the ribbed one goes on the aircon yes and goes closest to the harmonic balancer, the waterpump/alternator goes in the middle and the power steering goes on the end... i think the p/s and alt/water pump belts are the same length, but you can ajust the alternator i think one belt was streched on mine and round tight corners my p/s belt slips... need to play swapsies (ill post a pic up tonight aswell)

also ill show the timing indicators on the timing cover and do a guide on how to check base timing/ how to use a timing light, also the pulley speerates from the harmonic balancer with 4 bolts inside, they're 13mm

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
theres alot to mention, ill add a throttle body pic after work tonight showing what the TPS/IAC look like and where they are... oil cap is a bit straight forward too, but somepeople might try and fill their dip stick which would be messy.. washer tank is closest to the firewall, and the coolant overflow is closest to the relay box, DO NOT FILL YOUR OVERFLOW TANK its a purge tank and thats it (unlike vn s1)

its hard to get a picture of the fuel pressure reg, but they'res some vac lines id like to point out.. at the back they'res a heater vent control vaccume line near the brake booster vac line, and they'res 2 vac lines that run thru the inlet manifold, they are map sensor/fuel pressure reg vac lines, to remove the dissy its a 9/16th bolt (or 14mm), to ajust undo it but not too much and turn the dissy

rocker covers/cyclinder heads dont require to be labeled because even a 18 year old girl with a EXCEL can find them

belts is a good question

the ribbed one goes on the aircon yes and goes closest to the harmonic balancer, the waterpump/alternator goes in the middle and the power steering goes on the end... i think the p/s and alt/water pump belts are the same length, but you can ajust the alternator i think one belt was streched on mine and round tight corners my p/s belt slips... need to play swapsies (ill post a pic up tonight aswell)

also ill show the timing indicators on the timing cover and do a guide on how to check base timing/ how to use a timing light, also the pulley speerates from the harmonic balancer with 4 bolts inside, they're 13mm

The 710 cap you need to explain... :p

I think you should label the "rocket" covers :rofl:

Nice work paradox :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
excellent work paradox. maybe if you start a new thread and put all the pics in there with the info it could be stickied

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
woo thanks for the help, how does the clutch fan go on? i cant figure it out :S only need a computer, coolant ignition barrell now :D